Relive the best moments from Game of Thrones Season 1 with our comprehensive quote list. Laugh at Tyrion’s shenanigans, feel the pain of character’s lost loves, and journey back through the season that started it all with our best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1.
1. “Winter is coming” – Ned Stark
The Stark house words are a repeated reference throughout the series, Ned warns us that winter and all the hardships that come with it is coming for us. The Stark words are perhaps the most iconic quote from Game of Thrones Season 1.
2. “The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword” – Ned Stark
Ever honorable is our Ned Stark, and he shows it by performing the gruesome task of beheading a deserter of The Night’s Watch himself, saying that those who would condemn others to die must be willing to carry out the act themselves. This was said in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 1.
3. “But I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago” – Ned Stark
Varys attempts to make Ned admit his “treason” in order to save his life, not wanting an inevitable war to break out if the Lannisters take his head. He recalls how he grew up with actors as part of his persuasion. Ned replies that he grew up with soldiers; he’s been around people dying all his life and has been ready for it for a while. Ned uses this harrowing quote in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 9.
4. “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion gives Jon Snow some sage advice after he recoils from being called a Bastard. Tyrion, having been mocked for his stature all his life, encourages Jon to embrace who he is, using it as a defense mechanism rather than taking offense from it. It is one of the most iconic quotes from Tyrion and one of the best Game of Thrones quotes Season 1 has to offer.
5. “In my own bed, at the age of 80, with a belly full of wine and a girl’s mouth around my cock” – Tyrion Lannister
When asked by the hill tribes of the Vale how he would like to die, Tyrion’s answer includes the two things you might expect from his dying wish. Wine and sex.
6. “And go celibate? The whores would go begging from Dorne to Casterly Rock. No, I just want to stand on top of the wall and piss off the edge of the world” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s response to being asked if he’s thinking of taking the black is perfect. He jokingly over-values his status as a sex fiend, claiming his celibacy would torment the whores, while revealing his own infantile, though rather interesting activity nonetheless, reason for wanting to go to the Wall.
Yoren and Tyrion sit discussing the strangest thing they’ve ever eaten. Yoren sets the bar quite high with a bear’s balls, but Tyrion being Tyrion has a witty comeback as usual, flipping the meaning of “eaten”.
8. “A Lannister always pays his debts” – Tyrion Lannister
So frequently do the Lannisters say this phrase it’s thought by some to be their house words, including Brandon Stark. This isn’t the case, though, their words being “Hear Me Roar”, but it’s certainly the most iconic phrase from the family. Tyrion uses them in this episode to convince the Eyrie jailmaster, Mord, to give him an audience with Lysa Arryn. It’s not used to often in the 1st season, but still brings a smile to Game of Thrones fans.
9. “I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things” – Tyrion Lannister
It feels like for most of the first season Tyrion is trying to convince people that he’s not evil like the whole of Westeros thinks, and it’s with this line he shows this to Robb. He provides Bran with the blueprints for a saddle that will make the crippled boy able to ride a horse once again. This quote inspired the name of one of the episodes from the 1st season – Cripples, bastards, and broken things.
10. “When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew; I flogged the one-eyed snake; I skinned my sausage; I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I do believe my sister ate – at least I hope she did” – Tyrion Lannister
In an audience with Lysa that Tyrion secures after saying he’ll “confess his crimes” this little gem comes from his speech. Though they’re all fantastically funny, one quote takes the cake. Tyrion recalls to a chamber filled with noble men and women how as a twelve year old he masturbated into his sister’s stew. Not happy with the story’s shock value on its own, he adds his flavorful language to the tale to phrase it with plenty of innuendos.
11. “And a mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone” – Tyrion Lannister
One of Tyrion’s best and most famous quotes. When Jon asks him why he reads so much, Tyrion replies that, much like Jaime has his sword as his weapon, Tyrion’s gift is his mind, and much like a weapon a mind needs to be sharpened. Books are his choice to do so. Tyrion said this in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 2.
12. “The things I do for love” – Jaime Lannister
A line that sticks with everyone from Game of Thrones is Jaime’s short and heartless reasoning behind pushing a ten year old from a window a fatal distance from the ground. It throws us into the cruel Game of Thrones world right from the first episode of Season 1 and leaves absolutely no one thinking, “I don’t think I’ll watch another episode.” Now that’s the sign of a good quote and moment.
13. “What gods are those? The trees your husband prayed to? Where were the trees when his head was getting chopped off? If your gods are real, and if they’re just, why is the world so full of injustice?” – Jaime Lannister
After Cat mentions the gods in front of Jaime, he puts her faith down plainly in front of her, asking her where her beloved gods were when her husband was being killed.
14. “I’ll go to war with him if I have to. They can write a ballad about us: The War for Cersei’s cunt” – Jaime Lannister
If there was ever someone that could make you laugh about incest, it’s Jaime. While Cersei frets about what would happen if Bran remembers what he saw and tells Robert about their relationship, Jaime answers back with one his most memorable Game of Thrones Season 1 quotes.
15. “I am Daenerys Stormborn, of House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria – I am the Dragon’s Daughter. And I swear to you, that those who would harm you will die screaming” – Daenerys Targaryen
Before burning the witch that sacrificed her unborn son in order to keep Drogo alive, but not living, Dany says this line to the followers who stayed with her after the Khalasar abandoned her. It is certainly the most epic Daenerys quote in Season 1, and hints at things to come. Dany says this quote in the season finale, Season 1 Episode 10.
After being told by Jorah that she’s finally learning to talk like a queen, Dany reveals how she’s beginning to assimilate into the Dothraki world, correcting him that she’s actually learning to talk like a Khaleesi.
17. “I am a Khaleesi of the Dothraki. I am the wife of the great Khal and I carry his son inside me. The next time you raise a hand to me, will be the last time you have hands” – Daenerys Targaryen
This quote is the first time Dany stands up for herself against her brother Viserys, and is one of the most powerful quotes she has in Season 1. After Viserys strikes her, she takes the upper hand by claiming the next time he did that she’d have his hands removed. Truly a turning point in the sibling’s relationship dynamic, which had previously treated Daenerys awfully. Daenerys threatens her brother with this quote in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 4.
18. “He was no Dragon. Fire cannot kill a Dragon” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany’s single reaction to Visery’s death at the hands of her husband is one of apathy, tossing him aside and all of his taint with one dismissive thought. He was a pretender; a dragon can’t be killed by fire.
19. “When the sun rises in the west, and sets in the east, then you shall return to me, my sun and stars” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany’s heartbreaking last words to Drogo, whom she manages to save from death in a previous episode only for him to hover on the precipice between living and dying, leaving him responseless and emotionless. She kills him out of mercy, but it still makes her cry.
20. “First lesson: Stick ‘em with the pointy end” – Jon Snow
Jon and Arya share a wholesome moment as Jon says his farewells to everyone, leaving Arya with a present of her first sword, Needle. Tailor-made for a smaller fighter like herself, Jon drops the first piece of fighting knowledge on Arya in iconic fashion.
21. “So I sat there, in the brothel, as Ros took off her clothes. But I couldn’t do it, ‘cos all I could think was, what if I got her pregnant, and she had a child, another bastard named Snow. It’s not a good life for a child” – Jon Snow
Jon warms everyone’s hearts with this quote from Season 1 Episode 4, revealing how, when he had the chance to have sex with a beautiful women, he chose not to in fear of bringing another bastard into the world. In a world full of such careless people, Jon’s kind heart is very welcome.
22. “Everyone who isn’t us, is an enemy” – Cersei Lannister
While discussing politics with Joffrey, the topic arises of whether or not the Stark’s are enemies. Cersei reveals just how elitist she is in regards to holding her house above everyone else’s, claiming anyone outside of their circle is an enemy. This is one of the most famous Game of Thrones quotes Season 1 gives us, putting Cersei’s, and to a lesser extent the Lannisters, brutality in plain view. Cersei says this quote in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 3.
23. “When you play the Game of Thrones you win, or you die. There is no middle ground” – Cersei Lannister
Perhaps the single most iconic Game of Thrones quotes there is. Cersei describes the brutal game that the high lords of Westeros play. In the pursuit of power, you either win or you die. Without a doubt the most famous, iconic quote from Season 1. This quote comes from Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 7.
24. “Lancel. Gods, what a stupid name. Lancel Lannister. Who named you, some halfwit with a stutter?” – Robert Baratheon
His grace entertains himself in a number of ways, and apparently loudly and rudely making fun of his squire’s name while his squire is present is one of them. This quote is perhaps a summary of Robert’s brash, unapologetic manner.
25. “Your mother was a dumb whore with a fat arse, did you know that?” – Robert Baratheon
I’m sure you’re expecting some context to go with this wild quote, but there really isn’t any, which makes it all the more funny. After Lancel Lannister can’t strap King Robert’s breastplate on, Robert stares at the boy with disdain and randomly insults his mother. What a charmer. Robert has so many great Game of Thrones Season 1 quotes it’s a shame he couldn’t stick around in future seasons. Robert’s sporadic insult towards lancel comes from Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 5.
26. “I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted, and someone took her away from me, and seven kingdoms couldn’t fill the hole she left behind” – Robert Baratheon
Who’d have thought Robert would come up with one of the best love quotes in Season 1? When reminiscing about Lyanna Stark, he explains how the hole she left in his heart couldn’t be filled by his dominion over seven kingdoms in this heartfelt quote.
27. “King Robert Baratheon, murdered by a pig” – Robert Baratheon
On Robert’s deathbed after being wounded by a boar, he senses his death coming, yet manages to laugh at the circumstances. Death by pig isn’t a very conventional way for a King to die, after all.
28. “Distrusting me was the wisest thing you’ve done since you climbed off your horse” – Lord Baelish
In a typically-Baelish retort to Ned saying that he may have been wrong to distrust Baelish, Littlefinger once again warns of the treachery that’s abound in King’s Landing.
29. “Oh, everything, my dear. Everything there is“ – Lord Baelish
The Baelish quotes continue to rain in from a particularly quote-worthy episode for Littlefinger. This time it’s his response to Ros’ question of what he wants. The answer reveals his absolute and endless ambition.
30. “Sansa can keep her sewing needles; I’ve got a needle of my own” – Arya Stark
The naming of Arya’s blade is manufactured by her comparing her sister’s needles, with which she excels at textiles with, to her own one. Having never mastered the lady-like arts like Sansa, Arya decides her Needle will be her sword, and what a legacy Needle goes on to have.
31. “I would let his whole tribe fuck you, all 40,000 men, and their horses too, if that’s what it took” – Viserys Targaryen
Ah, love between siblings. Usually such a deeply-founded feeling, though clearly Viserys doesn’t quite have the same compassion for his sister. His disregard for other people’s well being and his obsession with mounting the Iron Throne of Westeros draw this extreme quote from him. Right from Game of Thrones Season 1 we are thrown head-first into the brutality of the world they are in, and in particular the cruel ways of Viserys.
32. “The brave men didn’t kill dragons. The brave men rode them” – Viserys Targaryen
While in a bath with Doreah, the conversation turns to dragons and how there are none left. Doreah thinks that brave men handled that, wiping the dragons out, to which Viserys replies that the brave men weren’t the ones killing them, but riding them.
33. “A crown for a king” – Khal Drogo
Definitely one of the famous quotes from Season 1 and one of the most badass scenes of the series is the golden crown in Vaes Dothrak. After Viserys angers the Dothraki by drawing a weapon in their holy city and threatening to kill them, including Dany’s unborn baby, he makes his demand that Drogo must deliver the crown that was promised. Drogo obliges, melting down some gold over the fire before pouring the molten liquid over the restrained body of Viserys, killing him as the incredible heat covers his head. Just before he tips the mixture on Visery’s head, he says this quote, delivering his crown and promise.
34. “Tell Lord Tywin winter is coming for him. 20,000 northerners marching south to find out if he really does shit gold” – Robb Stark
After capturing a Lannister scout in their camp, Robb decides not to kill him, instead letting him go as a sign of confidence to intimidate Lord Tywin. He tells him that the might of the North is marching towards Tywin to find out if the common joke about the head of the Lannister family — that he shits gold — is true. Robb tells this to the Lannister scout in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 8.
35. “A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep” – Tywin Lannister
Tywin doesn’t seem like a great father, though this piece of advice goes against this mold. When Jaime says that people calling him Kingslayer bothers him, Tywin’s response is brilliantly brutal, saying a Lion (like them) doesn’t concern himself with a sheep’s opinion, referring to the common folk. This attitude is typical of Lannisters, with all three of Tywin’s children seemingly thinking themselves more important than most.
36. “Give me 10 good men and some climbing spikes, I’ll impregnate the bitch” – Bronn
Bronn wins our hearts early on for his roguish humor, taking Tyrion’s musing, “they say the Eyrie is impregnable” quite literally, saying that with a small squad of good soldiers he could impregnate it.
37. “There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: not today” – Syrio Forel
After Arya says that she prays to both the old and the new gods, Syrio tuts before telling her there’s only one god. The god of Death. This is so impactful as Arya adopts this thinking in many more episodes, the teachings of Syrio sticking with her. Syrio tells this quote to Arya in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 6.
38. “Love is the death of duty” – Maester Aemon
When Jon is seriously debating deserting the Night’s Watch to help his family in the war to come, Maester Aemon drops some knowledge on him. To make Jon see why he has to stay, Maester Aemon reveals that he’s actually Aemon Targaryen, and that when the Throne passed to him he refused it. He ends his speech saying that love is the death of duty.
39. “I always wanted to be a wizard” – Samwell Tarly
Ah, we can always count on Sam to lighten the mood. After Jon feels robbed when he’s made a Steward in the Night’s Watch rather than a Ranger like his Uncle, he says wistfully that he always wanted to be a Ranger. Sam breaks the sadness brilliantly, with the bizarre desire of his to be a wizard. Sam brings the comic relief and this is one of the funniest, most unexpected Game of Thrones Season 1 quotes.
Image credits: HBO