Another Season covered on Goat of Thrones means another look back at its best quotes! And the best Game of Thrones Season 4 quotes certainly didn’t disappoint, either. Let’s take a look at what Season 4 of GoT offered in the quote department.
1. “No, but as long as I’m better than everyone else I suppose it doesn’t matter” – Jaime Lannister
Tywin’s gift of a Valyrian steel sword to Jaime is a mighty weapon, though one Jaime will have to use with his left hand. Never one for cloaking an issue with cotton wool, Tywin tells his son that he’ll never be as good with it, to which Jaime agrees but adds some spice to the situation with this quote.
2. “If The Mountain killed my sister, your father gave the order. Tell your father I’m here. And tell him the Lannisters aren’t the only ones who pay their debts” – Oberyn Martell
Our first impressions of Oberyn are quite fiery, where he reveals he’s a passionate lover, a strong fighter who sends two Lannister men running off, one of them bleeding, and a man eager for revenge on the wrongs committed on his sister and her children. This is all rounded off with this brilliant, threatening quote as he tells Tyrion the rumors that The Mountain killed and raped his sister at the order of Tywin Lannister.
3. “Think I’d let that old lecher put his hands on me? Smells like a dead cat” – Cersei Lannister
Jaime overhears Cersei thanking Qyburn for assistance with some symptoms of hers, though she doesn’t reveal what these are. He follows up by asking if she let him touch her, surprised as she never let Pycelle anywhere near her. This quote is said next and reveals the extent of dislike everyone seems to have of Pycelle in a rather funny way. Quotes that reveal a character’s detest of Pycelle are always funny to see.
4. “Thenns. I fucking hate Thenns” – Tormund Giantsbane
Tormund sees a signal from one of his men that people are coming, so he and Ygritte get ready to fight an oncoming force. It turns out to just be Thenns, another group of wildlings, though, which Tormund is less than thrilled about.
5. “What the fuck’s a Lommy?” – The Hound
Arya and The Hound stop outside an inn, looking at the horses and weighing up their chances of stealing them and food seeing as there’s 5 men in there. 2 of them come out, and Arya recognises one to be Polliver, whom she says killed Lommy. Totally clueless of who this is, The Hound hilariously says this quote.
6. “Lots of cunts” – The Hound
In the same conversation as the previous quote, Arya notices that Polliver still has her sword, which she tells The Hound is called Needle. He mockingly says that of course she’s named a sword, which Arya defensively replies that lots of people name their swords. Clearly not a sword-namer himself, The Hound then says this quote. He has many good quotes, but these three quotes from Season 4 above and below this one might just be his best of the series
7. “I understand that if any more words come pouring out your cunt mouth, I’m gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room” – The Hound
One episode of Game of Thrones, three great quotes from The Hound. This one comes as he is talking with Polliver, who is refusing to give The Hound one of the chickens they’ve got. Polliver tells him that he doesn’t seem to understand the situation, so The Hound replies with this hilarious threat as his next line. In our eyes, this is the best Hound quote, and one of the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 4.
8. “There’s this knight, uh, Leygood, got thunderbolts on his shield? Right here is where I fuck his wife. She’s a screamer that one. If they don’t hear her, they won’t hear us” – Bronn
Jaime asks if the place Bronn has taken them to to practice sword fighting is safe and out of view enough for his ineptitude with a blade to remain secret. Bronn then tells him this story which sets his mind at rest. This is one of the most memorable Bronn quotes which shows how he’s warming into the life of a knight.
9 .“Because if someone follows me without an invitation, I’m the last person they ever follow” – Bronn
Tyrion gets himself worked up after he asks Bronn to make sure Shae boards the ship he arranged to take her to Pentos to keep her safe, and questions him on how he’s sure no one knows where she is. Bronn tells him that it’s only him, Tyrion and Varys who know where she is and there wasn’t a chance of him being followed because, well, see quote.
10. “Money buys a man’s silence for a time. A bolt in the heart buys it forever” – Lord Baelish
In the world of Game of Thrones where treason and treachery is abound in every corner, this train of thought that Baelish carries seems to be the norm with people. Baelish is most quote-worthy in Season 4, and here’s a golden one from him.
11. “You may not have enjoyed watching him die, but you enjoyed it more than you would have enjoyed being married to him, I can promise you that” – Lady Olenna
Margaery is contemplating her situation in the fallout following the purple wedding, and tells her grandmother how horrible it was watching Joffrey clawing at his throat as he died. The wise Lady Olenna tells her that it may not have been pleasant, but it was a much more favorable alternative to being married to the beast. Truest quote from Season 4?
12. “If I do not press my claim, my claim will be forgotten. I will not become a page in someone else’s history book” – Stannis Baratheon
Stannis informs Ser Davos of Joffrey’s death happening just a few episodes after he threw a leach filled with Gendry’s blood into the fire and muttered his name. Davos explains to Stannis that he’s been trying to rally troops to their cause, but their army lacks size. Unhappy with how he can’t move forward, Stannis says this quote which shows the dogged determination many Game of Thrones characters have to make history.
13. “Well, if you’re a famous smuggler you’re not doing it right” – Davos Seaworth
Shireen asks Ser Davos what the difference between pirates and smugglers is, so he explains.
14. “I would like to think, if I were arranging a royal assassination, I’d plan it in such a way that I wouldn’t be standing there gawking like a fool when the king died” – Tyrion Lannister
Pod comes to visit Tyrion in his cell and double checks with the lord that he didn’t murder joffrey. Tyrion reassures him that he didn’t, before revealing this relevant point as he was left quite the obvious culprit after Joffrey’s death. Too obvious, Tyrion says.
15. “Pod, there has never lived a more loyal squire” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion bids his farewell to Podrick as he leaves the cell that Tyrion is imprisoned in, and closes with this heartfelt quote that shows how Tyrion values his squires so much more than other lords.
16. “A man with no motive is a man no one suspects. Always keep your foes confused, if they don’t know who you are, what you want – they can’t know what you plan to do next” – Lord Baelish
Sansa quickly comes to realise that it was Littlefinger who was responsible for Joffrey’s death, and asks him why he’d do this when the Lannisters have given him power, wealth, even Harrenhal. Baelish’s answer is a smoky one, and only really reveals his absolute love for the Game of Thrones and its power plays, making for another brilliant quote from him in GoT Season 4.
17. “I’d risk everything to get what I want” – Lord Baelish
Another awesome quote from Lord Baelish as he tells Sansa about his decision to kill Joffrey. When brought up on the dangers it could have caused him, he tells Sansa he’d risk it all to get what he wants.
18. “I will not let those I have freed slide back into chains. I will not sail for Westeros… I will do what queens do. I will rule” – Daenerys Targaryen
When stuck between choosing whether to secure her slave-free hold on the free cities of Yunkai and Astapor or to sail to King’s Landing and strike while the kingdom is in disarray, Dany chooses to prioritize the lives of those she’s already freed. She chooses to rule over Meereen, as a queen would do.
19. “Know your strengths, use them wisely, and one man can be worth ten thousand” – Lord Baelish
On their approach to the Bloody Gate of the Eyrie, Baelish lectures Sansa on the castle’s history, saying it has never been overcome in a thousand years as the first lords of the Vale knew their strengths, the mountains that surrounded them, and used them to their advantage. He draws a parallel between this and everyday life. Should you play to your strengths you can accomplish what would take ten thousand others to do.
20. “I’m almost done, only one name left…. The Hound” – Arya Stark
The Hound is, as you’d expect, cranky that Arya is disturbing his sleep by reciting her lengthy list of people she’s going to kill. She tells her to get on with it after a bit of discussion, leaving Arya to say her last name.
21. “Meryn Trant? The greatest swordsman who ever lived, killed by Meryn fucking Trant?” – The Hound
The Hound finds Arya practising her water dancing and begins to mock her for her strange form of fighting. When he asks who taught her it, she replies that she was taught by the greatest swordsman who ever lived, whom she later reveals was killed by Meryn Trant. The Hound finds this hilarious, and speaks this quote regarding it.
22. “What good is power if you cannot protect the ones you love?” – Cersei Lannister
In her stroll with Oberyn through the gardens of King’s Landing, Cersei begins talking of how neither her nor Oberyn could save their loved ones, Elia and Joffrey, despite their power, which leads her to this quote.
23. “They skinned our countrymen, and they mutilated my brother, your prince. YOUR PRINCE! Everything they’ve done to him they’ve also done to you. As long as they can hurt our prince with impunity, the word “Ironborn” means nothing!” – Yara Greyjoy
Yara makes a rare appearance in a best Game of Thrones quotes installment, with this epic speech meant to rouse her troops as they head to the Dreadfort to free Theon from the depraved clutches of Ramsay Snow. It’s good to see Yara appear with one of the best rousing speeches in S4.
24. “My birds tell me The Hound slaughtered five of our soldiers. I believe the phrase “Fuck the King” was uttered” – Lord Varys
As the first order of business in the Small Council meeting, Varys brings up a spotting of The Hound in the riverlands. He reveals the details of this spotting, shocking Mace Tyrell who doesn’t seem used to anything but the niceties of nobility. Saying this in a Small Council meeting only makes this an even better quote from Game of Thrones Season 4.
25. “It is a big and beautiful world. Most of us live and die in the same corner where we were born in, never get to see any of it. I don’t want to be most of us” – Oberyn Martell
Varys probes the prince as to why he spent 5 years in Essos, which Oberyn explains by using this brilliant and very good quote that’s certainly one to live by.
26. “Not me. When I see what desire does to people, what it’s done to this country, I am very glad to have no part in it. Besides, the absence of desire leaves one free to pursue other things” – Lord Varys
Oberyn assumes that Varys liked boys before he got cut, which Varys solemnly shakes his at. Taken aback, Oberyn tells Varys that he hopes he’s not offended to hear he never would have guessed. Varys isn’t offended, though begins to tell Oberyn that he wasn’t into girls, either. Instead, he had no desires, as he reveals in this great quote. Regarding Varys’ last sentence, Oberyn follows up on this and asks him what sort of things, so Varys tilts his head so that he is starting directly at the Iron Throne.
27. “I saved you. I saved this city, and all your worthless lives. I should have let Stannis kill you all!” – Tyrion Lannister
Up next we have the awesome string of Tyrion Lannister quotes that come when he gets massacred in his trail to prove his guilt of murdering Joffrey. He gets interrupted a few times and there are times where the quotes don’t flow, so we’ve separated them into four different quotes that we feel best convey each topic he addresses.
This first one is to the people watching the trial, unaware that their lives are safe because of Tyrion’s plan for the Battle of the Blackwater. He addresses how he saved them all, though with how they’ve shunned him he should have let Stannis kill them all.
28. “No, of that I’m innocent. I’m guilty of a far more monstrous crime. I’m guilty of being a dwarf. Oh, yes I am. I’ve been on trial for that my entire life” – Tyrion Lannister
The second badass quote comes after Tywin asks him to confess to killing Joffrey. Tyrion says he’s innocent of that, and reveals the true thing he is guilty of and has been standing trail for this whole time: being a dwarf.
29. “Nothing but this. I did not do it. I did not kill Joffrey but I wish that I had. Watching your vicious bastard die gave me more relief than a thousand lying whores. I wish I was the monster you think I am. I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you, I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it!” – Tyrion Lannister
Tywin asks if Tyrion does not have anything to say in his defense. Tyrion’s case has already been shattered by Cersei paying or intimidating anyone close to Tyrion to testify against him, so he says this chilling quote to the onlookers saying he wished he was the monster they thought he was; at least then maybe he’d be dying for something he actually did. He wishes the poison they think he used to murder the King could be used on them all, for he’d gladly watch them all die. This is easily one of the most memorable and best Game of Thrones Season 4 quotes.
30. “I will not give my life for Joffrey’s murder and I know I’ll get no justice here, so I will let the gods decide my fate. I demand a trial by combat” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s final curveball was the only card he could play in this situation. With the crowd so against him, especially after the last three quotes, he demands a trial by combat. This at least gives him a better chance of survival than the rigged trial he had been going through.
31. “Guess that’s what the king does when you tell him to fuck off” – The Hound
Two bandits try to jump The Hound from behind, which he quickly fends off by snapping one’s neck. Clegane turns to face the other and asks him what’s doing, only to be told that there’s a price on his head. The Hound reasons that is what happens when you tell the king to fuck off.
32. “If I gave you the choice between fucking Lollys and fighting The Mountain, you’d have your britches down and your cock up before I could blink” – Bronn
Tyrion tries to sway his friend Bronn to fight on his behalf against The Mountain, but Cersei has made him a knight and he is set with a wife and castle (once his wife’s sister suffers an “accident”, that is), so is rather against it. He uses this analogy, which puts his point in perspective.
33. “Let the priests argue over good and evil, slavery is real. I can end it, I will end it, and I will end those behind it” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany has none of Jorah’s request for her to stop committing savage acts, such as killing the masters of Yunkai, around her newly-freed slaves as all they’ve ever known is brutality. The Khaleesi disagrees, and says this quote showing her devotion to eradicating slavery.
34. “They can live in my new world, or they can die in their old one” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany agrees to meet Jorah’s point of view and not kill the masters of Yunkai, though sends one of the masters fro Meereen to accompany the second sons to Yunkai to tell the masters that they have a choice – to live in a slave-free world Dany is building, or die in their old world. This simple quote from Dany is one of her best in Season 4 of GoT.
35. “You’re not interesting enough to be offensive” – Brienne of Tarth
Brienne asks Pod what is wrong, as his face is all screwed up, but he tells her he doesn’t want to offend her. This cold reply is what Brienne had to say to that.
36. “It is rare to meet a Lannister who shares my enthusiasm for dead Lannisters” – Oberyn Martell
Revealing details of his discussion with Cersei, whom was trying to sway Oberyn against Tyrion, the prince tells Tyrion how it’s rare to meet someone like Cersei, a Lannister, who enjoys the prospect of dead Lannisters as much as he does.
37. “I have only loved one woman, only one, my entire life: your sister” – Lord Baelish
Baelish prevents a frantic Lysa from throwing Sansa down the moon door after she thinks she killed Petyr. As he consoles her, he begins this misleading quote, drawing a smile from the tearful woman. The ending to his quote, however, did not bring such jubilation, especially as he accompanied it by pushing her out of the moon door to fall to her death below. This is easily one of the most badass Lord Baelish quote in Game of Thrones, and one of the most chilling quotes in the whole of Season 4.
38. “At least I could have been able to watch. I wanted to see the look in his eyes when he knew it was over” – Arya Stark
Arya talks to The Hound about why she’s not happy that Joffrey is dead, and it seems to boil down to the fact that she wasn’t able to do it herself, and that she didn’t even get to witness him passing.
39. “People die at their dinner tables, they die in their beds, they die squatting over their chamber pots. Everybody dies sooner or later. And don’t worry about your death, worry about your life. Take charge of your life for as long as it lasts – that is what it means to be Lord of the Vale” – Lord Baelish
Baelish provides Robin Arryn with more useful information in one quote than he over got from Lysa, and it’s certainly a quote to remember. Not only is it a badass one about living your life as best you can, it also foreshadows some future deaths in this season. We shan’t spoil it in case anyone hasn’t watched the series, but remember the examples that Baelish gives of where people may die.
40. “I know you never fucked a bear. You know you never fucked a bear. Right now, I don’t wanna think about the bear you never fucked” – Ygritte
Tormund begins telling a story of a “beast” he fucked, which Ygritte reveals to be a bear. The fiesty Ygritte interrupts him as she’s not in the mood for false stories as their attack on Castle Black nears, shutting him up with this quote.
41. “Nothing makes the past as sweet a place to visit than the prospect of imminent death” – Maester Aemon
In his same conversation with Sam in the library, the Maester drops this chilling and poignant quote on us, that in the face of imminent death nowhere seems sweeter to visit than the past to relive the best parts of your life.
42. “Pip, open the fucking gate!” – Samwell Tarly
Yes, this quote is really Sam’s! Gilly requests access to Castle Black having survived the wildling raid on Mole’s Town thanks to Ygritte’s mercy, though Pip denies her entry as Ser Alliser gave him orders that the gate opens for nobody. After asking politely, Sam loses his cool for the first time ever on the show and swears at Pip. This gets him to open the gate.
43. “Margaery will dig her claws in, you will dig your claws in and you’ll fight over him like beasts until you rip him apart. I will burn our house to the ground before I let that happen!” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei tries one last time to get out of her marriage to Loras Tyrell that would see her shipped to Highgarden and away from Tommen in King’s Landing. She describes what would happen if she left, before revealing the extents that she would go to in order to prevent that, which happens to me revealing her relationship with her brother, Jaime, which would cripple the family. It works, and she is released from her marriage.
44. “And what? You’ll kill your own father in the privy?” – Tywin Lannister
Tyrion warns his father not to call Shae a whore again. Tywin calls his bluff, questioning whether that’d make Tyrion kill his father on the toilet. Yes, Tywin. Yes it will.
45. “I am your son. I have always been your son” – Tyrion Lannister
In the emotional showdown between the two, Tywin is shocked when Tyrion releases a crossbow bolt at him. He says with spite that Tyrion is not his son, disowning him as he’s always done. Tyrion says this two sentences as his last words, before shooting his father once more and ending his life in one of the most memorable scenes in the whole show.
An emotional quote to end off the best Game of Thrones Season 4 quotes! We had lots of great quotes from S4 due to the high-octane storylines that developed through the season such as the Wildling attack on Castle Black, Joffrey’s death and Tyrion’s trial, and familiar power plays by Lord Baelish.
You can also check out the best 52 quotes from Game of Thrones Season 3, as well as quotes from each individual episode of Season 4 that go more in depth than this.
Image credits: HBO