Another season down at Goat of Thrones means another full season recap of all its best quotes. This time we have the best quotes of Game of Thrones Season 5 to explore.
It’s had the fewest of these quote compilation so far, but we’ve definitely got some gems in here that will shock you, make you laugh, inspire you or a mixture of them all.
Without further ado, here are the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 5!
1. “Everyone wants to know their future, until they know their future” – Maggy
Maggy is the Witch who reads Cersei’s future when she was a young girl after the young princess demanded it of her. She did warn that not everyone wants to see what awaits them, though, in this eerie quote.
2. “Tyrion may be a monster but at least he killed our father on purpose. You killed him by mistake” – Cersei Lannister
The two Lannister children left in King’s Landing after Tywin’s death at the hand of Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime, discuss his passing and its meaning together over his corpse. Cersei blames it on Tyrion, as she should, but then also ropes Jaime into it as she knows it was he that set Tyrion free that night. This oddly hilarious quote comes from Game of Thrones Season 5 Episode 1.
3. “I don’t believe in saviors. I believe men of talent have a part to play in the war to come” – Lord Varys
Being questioned to his intentions in releasing Tyrion, Lord Varys reveals that he did it for the Seven Kingdoms and his belief that Tyrion can bring great change to them. Varys doesn’t have many GoT Season 5 Quotes, but this one paints the picture of the battle to come nicely.
4. “Who said anything about him?” – Lord Varys
Varys describes what the seven kingdoms needs – a ruler with strength, but compassion, who inspires love but also keeps the other nobles in line, and that has the right family name. Tyrion scoffs and says good luck to finding this man, which Varys cleverly turns with this quote making it clear he means to ally Tyrion with Daenerys.
5. “The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted” – Mance Rayder
Jon turns to leave Mance’s cell after failing to convince him to side with Stannis, meaning the king beyond the wall was destined to die, before saying one last line: that he though Mance was making a terrible mistake. Mance’s reply is brilliant and encapsulates everything the wildlings believe in.
6. “He may be young, but he’s the commander we turned to when the night was darkest” – Samwell Tarly
Sam puts Jon’s name in the mix when the Watch is deciding on a new Lord Commander, against Jon’s will, and vouches for him through his acts of bravery in the mission to defeat the rebelling watchmen at Craster’s and when the wall came under attack from the wildlings. He finishes his sales pitch of Jon with this stellar quote from S5E2 and is one of Sam’s best Game of Thrones Season 5 quotes.
7. “This is all I want to do. All day, every day, for the rest of my life” – Tommen Baratheon
Tommen takes his entry into a quote worth putting on the lists of one of the episodes after he and Margaery consummate their marriage. The king is drawn into the world of sex, bringing this quote out from him that sounds like he’s taken after his uncle a fair bit. The suggestion of Tommen being a sex fiend comes in Episode 3 of the season.
8. “There’s no justice in the world, not unless we make it. You loved your family. Avenge them” – Lord Baelish
Baelish somehow manages to convince Sansa to marry Ramsay Bolton with a line about how all her life Sansa has sat by and watched bad things happen to her family, so she should take this marriage as a way of her to take some control and wrong those who have wronged her. The logic behind this we don’t quite get, but it includes this awesome quote from Baelish at least and makes for one of the coolest revenge quotes in Season 5.
9. “Nothing’s more hateful than failing to protect the one you love” – Brienne of Tarth
Brienne recalls a heartbreaking story of a ball her father threw for her to find a suitable husband that turned rotten when she realised how all of the boys were only dancing with her as part of an ongoing joke. All of them were in on it, except Renly. Brienne tells pod that she committed herself to serving him that day, but couldn’t save him when his death came, which she says in this quote, one of the Season 5 quotes.
10. “I need to speak to someone with hair” – Tyrion Lannister
In the aforementioned brothel, Tyrion gets up suddenly and leaves Varys. The eunuch inquires on where he’s going, drawing this funny quote out from the Imp.
11. “But this I can’t do. Believe me, no one is more shocked than I am. I hope it passes. What will I do in my spare time?” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion takes the hand of a whore after he manages to convince her that he does in fact have money, but is unable to follow her. He conveys his dismay at his unwillingness with this funny set of sentences.
12. “The Dornish are crazy. All they wanna do is fight and fuck, fuck and fight” – Bronn
Bronn asks Jaime if he’s ever been to Dorne. Jaime says no. Bronn tells him what the Dornish people are like, as he has been.
13. “I know. But I still love her” – Jon Snow
Melisandre plays her usual card of getting naked sporadically, this time in front of Jon Snow, though he has the will to resist her. He tells her that he used to love another, but she isn’t happy with the excuse and says the dead have no need for lovers. Jon does agree with this, but reveals that he still loves Ygritte, throwing us a punch in the feels as deep as Season 5 Episode 4.
14. “You know nothing, Jon Snow” – Melisandre
Melisandre sends Jon to shock city and back when she turns around before leaving his chambers and says this quote, the most iconic quote between Ygritte and Jon. It only adds to her omniscience that she somehow knows this.
15. “We can learn to live with the wildlings, or we can add them to the army of the dead. Whatever they are now they’re better than that” – Jon Snow
Jon makes the controversial call to take a party north of the wall to escort the remaining wildling army south of the wall, to band up with them to find the dead when they attack. It is, of course, met with stern resistance, but this quote shines through as why it’s a good move to make.
16. “If I give everyone what they deserve I’ll have no one left to rule” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany fumes after the death of Ser Barristan, and says this quote showing how deeply her rage burns against the masters.
17. “Long sullen silences and an occasional punch in the face – the Mormont way” – Tyrion Lannister
With only himself for entertainment as Jorah is acting mute while he sails Tyrion towards Dany as his captor, the dwarf comes up with this funny line to sum up his travels with Jorah in Season 5 Episode 5.
18. “Is a girl ready? To give up her ears, her nose, her tongue? Her hopes and dreams, her loves and hates, all that makes a girl who she is, forever?” – Jaqen H’ghar
Jaqen leads Arya to where the bodies she’s been cleaning in the house of the many-faced god go, and asks her this question, revealing what it means to be a faceless man.
19. “Worthless. Cut his throat. And then chop off his cock; we’ll sell it for a fortune. A dwarf’s cock has magic powers” – Slave Ship Captain
It seems that Essos is a strange place, as after Tyrion and Jorah are captured by slaver the dwarf’s fate is discussed ending with the only value he can bring being his cock.
20. “We both peddle fantasies, Brother Lancel. Mine just happen to be entertaining” – Lord Baelish
Littlefinger is stopped by Lancel Lannister, now “Brother Lancel” and sporting a ridiculous cross engraved on his forehead, who warns Baelish that there’s little tolerance for “flesh-peddlers” in the new King’s Landing since the Faith Militant took power. The response from Baelish is this quote, and as is as cool as you’d expect. The fantasies he peddles bring pleasure; the religious fantasies Lancel pushes do not. This great quote from Baelish comes in GoT Season 5 Episode 6.
21. “This is the right time and I will risk everything, because if I don’t we’ve lost. We march to victory, or we march to defeat, but we go forward, only forward” – Stannis Baratheon
In the same snow storm as the quote above, Stannis pulls out a nice GoT quote about his choice to move on through the vicious weather. Though Stannis is hated after a certain burning at the stake, you have to admit this is a strong Game of Thrones Season 5 quote.
22. “I killed a white walker, I killed a Thenn. I’ll take my chances with you” – Samwell Tarly
In a moment of heroism, Sam stands up to the two men who have already beat him bloody whilst they try to rape Gilly. This awesome quote shows how he’s finally developed some confidence in himself. Sam’s heroic, or stupid, line comes in Game of Thrones Season 5 Episode 7.
23. “Then you are the only person in Meereen who’s not free” – Daario Naharis
Daario urges Dany to marry him and not a noble Meereenese man for the political gain it would bring her, but she claims she can’t do it, nor can she do only what she wants. Daario then says this very resonating quote that shows the shackles of leadership and what it means to be an idol to many.
24. “You are the few. We are the many. And when the many stop fearing the few…” – The High Sparrow
Seeking the freedom of her grandchildren, Olenna confronts the High Sparrow and demands their freedom, but finds he can’t be bought or intimidated like most people. He leaves her with this quote that tells of the power of one united force of the common people against the ruling elite like her, letting the consequences of the last sentence hang in the air for suspense.
25. “Look at me. Look at my face; it’s the last thing you’ll see before you die” – Cersei Lannister
After Cersei gets imprisoned by the faith for the things that Lancel has told the High Sparrow, she makes this very direct threat to the women who jailed her. This is one of Cersei’s most memorable quotes from Game of Thrones Season 5.
26. “You want revenge against the Lannisters? I killed my mother, Joanna Lannister, on the day I was born. I killed my father, Tywin Lannister, with a bolt to the heart. I am the greatest Lannister killer of our time” – Tyrion Lannister
Dany asks, in an uncharastically bloodthirsty manner of hers, why she shouldn’t kill Tyrion as revenge for what his family has done to hers over the years. He flips this and comically points out that he is the greatest Lannister killer of their time.
27. “Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell – they’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top, then that one’s on top, and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel” – Daenerys Targaryen
Daenerys Targaryen’s famous “Wheel” speech comes about in Game of Thrones Season 5 Episode 8, “Hardhome”. She talks about how the ruling houses of Westeros rotate power between them through power struggles and all the while crush the common people under their weight. Her mission, she tells Tyrion, is to break the wheel and this speech is easily regarded as the best Dany quote in Season 5.
28. “The long night is coming, and the dead come with it. No clan can stop them, the free-folk can’t stop them, the Night’s Watch can’t stop them, and all the southern kings can’t stop them! Only together, all of us – and even then it may not be enough but at least we’ll give the fuckers a fight” – Jon Snow
Jon shows his balls of steel once more in GoT by venturing north of the wall to ask the remaining wildlings to band together with him in an attempt to defeat the army of the dead. To try and convince them to trust him, he gives this very awesome speech.
29. “You have a good heart, Jon Snow. It’ll get us all killed” – Alliser Thorne
Jon returns to Castle Black from Hardhome with a fleet of wildlings at his tail. This splits the watch 50/50 on who approves of his saving of them and who doesn’t. You can guess which side Ser Alliser is on.
30. “I believe in second chances. I don’t believe in third chances” – Doran Martell
Ellaria sound swears allegiance to Doran after he foils the plot of her and her sand snakes to seize power in Dorne. Known for his mercy, he tells her he believes in second chances, though follows this up with the fact that he doesn’t believe in third chances in a cool, cold tone.
31. “It’s always changing – who we’re supposed to love and who we’re not. The only thing that stays the same is that we want who we want” – Ellaria Sand
Ellaria and Oberyn were frowned upon for their relationship when in King’s Landing, though she tells Jaime that in Dorne no one blinked an eye. She then says this quote, which is one of the most powerful Game of Thrones quotes about love in Season 5, and is said in Episode 9.
32. “In the name of Renly of House Baratheon, first of his name, rightful king of the andals and the first men, lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm, I, Brienne of Tarth, sentence you to die” – Brienne of Tarth
After seasons of Brienne seeking her vengeance on Stannis for his murder of her beloved Renly, she finally finds him wounded from the Battle of Winterfell lying against a tree, and carries out her justice.
33. “He’s the toughest man with no balls I ever met” – Daario Naharis
Missandei tells Grey Worm he isn’t strong enough to help the others track down Dany after she went rogue with Drogon, though Daario interjects with this funny, and very true, quote about his toughness in Season 5 Episode 10.
And that’s it until another season! A good haul of quotes in Season 5, especially since it’s regarded as one of the slower seasons in the series.
We’ll catch you for another season of Game of Thrones quotes shortly!
Image credits: HBO