There’s nothing that gives you the flavor of a season than with the best quotes from that season. The best Game of Thrones Season 7 quotes does exactly that. You can relive the key storylines, feel the emotions of the character and be transported back to the series with our best quotes from the whole of Game of Thrones Season 7.
1. “Leave one wolf alive and the sheep are never safe” – Arya Stark as Walder Frey
Under the mask of Walder Frey, Arya poisons the Frey men who were at the Red Wedding and assisted in the killing of her family. She tells them that they didn’t call all of the starks, as she still lives, and if just one wolf lives – the sigil of House Stork – then those they hunt are never safe.
2. “I don’t plan on knitting by the fire while men fight for me. I might be small, Lord Glover, and I might be a girl, but I am every bit as much a northerner as you. And I don’t need your permission to defend the north” – Lyanna Mormont
Jon raises the command that the girls will be trained to fight, too, now that the army of the dead is fighting. Lord Glover raises an objection by questioning if Jon really means to have him put a spear in his granddaughter’s hand, so Lady Mormont jumps in with this great string of lines. A great quote about strength coming out of Season 7.
3. “I’ll tell you what doesn’t scare me: bald cocksuckers like you. You think you’re fooling anyone with that top knot? Bald cunt” – The Hound
Despite going through a near-death experience, The Hound hasn’t lost any of his viciousness as he unloads on Thoros’ choice of hairstyle.
4. “You wish to know where my true loyalties lie? Not with any king or queen, but with the people. The people who suffer under despots and prosper under just rule, the people whose hearts you aim to win” – Lord Varys
Varys’ epic quote when Dany is questioning his loyalty that repeats his sentiment from the first season that he does truly serve the realm.
5. “The Lords of Westeros are sheep. Are you a sheep? No, you’re a dragon. Be a dragon” – Olenna Tyrell
In the same scene, Dany asks to speak to Olenna after the war council to try and make her see how what she’s doing will bring peace to the seven kingdoms. Olenna counsels Dany not to listen to her hand because the Lords of Westeros are all sheep.
6. “I was never the biggest, never the strongest, but I was bravest, always. Until I meet Missandei from the Isle of Narth. Now, I have fear” – Grey Worm
Grey Worm recalls to Missandei how, when he was being trained among the unsullied, despite not being the strongest or the biggest of them he was the bravest – he had no fear. Tearing up, he tells her that this is no longer the case as he has fears surrounding her, because he cares for her.
7. “A long and bloody tale. To be honest I was drunk for most of it” – Tyrion Lannister
Ever inquisitive, Tyrion tells Jon he’d very much like to hear how a recruit in the Night’s Watch became King in the North. Jon consents as long as Tyrion tells a story in return: how he became hand of the queen to Daenerys Targaryen.
8. “Oh I doubt that. Give us common folk one taste of power and we’re like the lion who tasted man – nothing is ever so sweet again” – Lord Varys
Varys and Melisandre, two people who have risen from the depths of depravity to sit shoulder to shoulder with the greatest monarchs in the land, talk while gazing down at Jon arriving in Dragonstone. Melisandre tries to tell Varys that her time whispering in the ears of king is over but, as a common person who’s tasted power himself, he tells her that he doubts this.
9. “I have been sold like a broodmare. I’ve been chained and betrayed, raped and defiled. Do you know what kept me standing through all those years in exile? Faith. Not in any gods, not in myths and legends, in myself. In Daenerys Targaryen” – Daenerys Targaryen
A very epic speech from Dany as she tells Jon her story that has led her to reclaiming Dragonstone whilst Jon is trying to convince her and Tyrion that the army of the dead is real. Definitely one of her best and most powerful quotes of the series. Truly one of the most epic Game of Thrones Season 7 quotes.
10. “Listen, if you have any advice at all I’d love to hear it when we have an hour or two to speak as brothers. Does she like it gentle or rough? A finger in the bum?” – Euron Greyjoy
Euron’s brashness knows no bounds, as he taunts Jaime by asking if he has any advice on pleasing Cersei. He knows he can get away with so obviously annoying Jaime as they’re both in the throne room in front of hundreds of their supplicants.
11. “I came down here to brood over my failure to predict the Greyjoy attack. You’re making it difficult; you look a lot better brooding than I do. You make me feel like I’m failing at brooding over failing” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s clever and funny line when he sees Jon also standing by the cliffs brooding whilst staring into the distance.
12. “Don’t fight in the north or the south. Fight every battle, everywhere, always, in your mind. Everyone is your enemy, everyone is your friend, every possible series of events is happening, all at once. Live that way, and nothing will surprise you. Everything that happens will be something that you’ve seen before” – Lord Baelish
One of the most distrusting Game of Thrones quotes there’s been comes in Season 7 Episode 3 when Sansa tells Sansa his advice on which war to fight…which is to say all of them at once, only in her head to outfit for herself for any eventuality. It gives a rare look inside of the workings of Baelish’s minds, one of the greatest in the seven kingdoms, making this one of the most interesting Game of Thrones Season 7 quotes.
13. “The other dagger, the one that took her life, I would have stopped that dagger with my own heart if I could have” – Lord Baelish
Baelish has always worn his heart on his sleeve when it comes to his affections for Cat, and it’s no different when speaking to Bran about the dagger that almost killed him. He reflects on the dagger that did kill Cat, and claims he would have stopped it with his own heart if he could. Who’d have thought Baelish says one of the best love quotes from Game of Thrones Season 7.
14. “They fought together, against their common enemy. Despite their differences, despite their suspicions – together. And we need to do the same if we’re going to survive, because the enemy is real. It’s always been real” – Jon Snow
Jon finds quite the revelation in the caves of Dragonstone that have been harboring obsidian all this time – drawings on the walls from the Children of the Forest depicts White Walkers. He shows them to Dany, and tells her how the Children and the First Men fought together against a common enemy, and her and Jon should, too.
15. “All of us who came with her from Essos, we believe in her. She’s not our queen because she’s the daughter of some king we never knew. She’s the queen we chose” – Missandei
Missandei’s faith is unshakeable in Dany, and this quote shows that, and is definitely one of the best quotes about friendship in Season 7 of Game of Thrones.
16. “Men shit themselves when they die. Didn’t they teach you that at fancy-lad school?” – Bronn
Who else but Bronn would say this to the son of Randyll Tarly after he showed surprise that a battlefield smelled awful?
17. “So we fight and die or we submit and die – I know my choice” – Cersei Lannister
With their options laid out in front of them regarding the war with Daenerys – which includes fighting and dying or submitting and dying – Cersei says with steely defiance that she knows which of the two she would choose, and that Jaime should too.
18. “We both want to help people. We can only help them from a position of strength. Sometimes strength is terrible” – Daenerys Targaryen
The first showing of a dragon vs Westerosi troops continues to drive the good quotes, with this one coming as Daenerys is forced to justify her actions to Jon Snow. She compares their desires to help people, before saying that sometimes terrible things must happen before this comes to pass. Dany shows some great qualities as a ruler in Season 7, and this great quote shows this.
19. “Nothing fucks you harder than time” – Davos Seaworth
Gendry is a sight for sore eyes when we see him in King’s Landing, back on the street of steel. Davos absentmindedly says how he barely recognises himself in front of Gendry, which leads to him saying this quote. You can take it for whatever meaning you think suits best because there certainly is a few!
20. “I’m tired of reading about the achievements of better men” – Samwell Tarly
Sam explains his leaving of the Night’s Watch in one glorious line, a line drawn from something his father said to him of what it’s like to be a maester. This Season 7 quote marks Sam choosing not to follow a mundane life, but instead make people write about his achievements.
21. “Every lord I’ve ever met has been a cunt” – The Hound
The labelling that is The Hound’s quote was perhaps unnecessary – it’s very in character for him – but it would look weird to leave it out. He says this quote when talking about the lord of the light. We’re not sure he’s that kind of lord.
22. “You told me to do nothing before and I listened to you. I’m not doing nothing again” – Daenerys Targaryen
Tyrion advises Dany against flying north to help Jon as she’s too valuable to send into such a dangerous area. She tells him how once before doing nothing got them screwed over, and she is not going to make that mistake again.
23. “If anything goes wrong kill the silver-haired bitch first, then our brother, then the bastard who calls himself king. The rest of them you can kill in any order you see fit” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei prepares to head to the dragon pit in King’s Landing to meet with Daenerys and her envoy. She instructs Ser Gregor on what to do if things go wrong, and this her list of order. Of her brutal quotes, this is one of her best in Game of Thrones Season 7.
24. “Seems every bad idea has some Lannister cunt behind it” – The Hound
The Hound, quite rightly so, points out that the small troop guarding Daenerys is all alone in King’s Landing and therefore possibly going to die in this city. He asks if this is Tyrion’s idea, leading him down this thought pattern with the revelation that the Lannister’s are the creators of bad ideas.
25. “But when enough people make false promises words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies” – Jon Snow
In an attempt to justify him losing Cersei’s support with the reluctance to tell a lie, Jon says this pretty awesome quote which you do have to believe. But Jon, you should have lied.
26. “No one walks away from me” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei reveals her plans to Jaime of why Euron fleed the dragon pit – to ferry the Golden Company over to Westeros – and tells him that no one walks away from her.
27. “He’s never been a bastard. He’s the heir to the Iron Throne” – Brandon Stark
Bran’s insufferable three-eyed raven quotes do lead to one good one. With an overlay of Jon and Daenerys having sex, we find out that Jon is actually Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark and therefore heir to the Iron Throne. This also means that Daenerys is Jon’s aunt. So…yeah.
And that concludes the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 7! We’ll be sitting twiddling our thumbs here waiting for Season 8, just like you, but rest assured when that drops we’ll be back to the quote grind to get the best lines from that up here.
While you’re here, consider checking out the best quotes from the whole of Season 6.
Image credit: HBO