Season 4 Episode 8 plays host to the thrilling culmination of Tyrion’s trial, where Oberyn battles The Mountain to determine the dwarf’s guilt. This isn’t what provides the good quotes in this episode, though. Here are the best Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 8 quotes.
1. “You’ve been licking Tywin Lannister’s boots so long it’s a wonder your tongue’s not black” – Lord Royce
One of Baelish’s interrogators following Lysa’s death and a Lord of the Vale, Lord Royce, discusses what he knows of Baelish with Littlefinger present. He tells him he knows he’s Tywin’s servant, and uses this quote to highlight how extreme of a servant he is.
2. “Better to gamble on the man you know than the strangers you don’t” – Lord Baelish
Baelish enters Sansa’s chambers in the Eyrie to ask her why she lied for him when the Lords of the Vale were interrogating him. She tells him it’s because they would have executed him if he was found guilty, and who knows if Sansa would have been included in the punishment. Baelish finds this pattern of thinking wise, saying it’s wiser to gamble on a known entity than one you don’t know.
3. “At least I could have been able to watch. I wanted to see the look in his eyes when he knew it was over” – Arya Stark
Arya talks to The Hound about why she’s not happy that Joffrey is dead, and it seems to boil down to the fact that she wasn’t able to do it herself, and that she didn’t even get to witness him passing.
4. “People die at their dinner tables, they die in their beds, they die squatting over their chamber pots. Everybody dies sooner or later. And don’t worry about your death, worry about your life. Take charge of your life for as long as it lasts – that is what it means to be Lord of the Vale” – Lord Baelish
Baelish provides Robin Arryn with more useful information in one quote than he over got from Lysa, and it’s certainly a quote to remember. Not only is it a badass one about living your life as best you can, it also foreshadows some future deaths in this season. We shan’t spoil it in case anyone hasn’t watched the series, but remember the examples that Baelish gives of where people may die.
5. “Wine always helps. I thank you for it” – Tyrion Lannister
Jaime smuggles some wine into Tyrion’s cell for him, which is likely to be his first alcoholic drink in days, if not weeks. He is very grateful.
Some great quotes, even though they’re not heavy in frequency. If the quotes from GoT Season 4 Episode 8 left you needing more, you’re in luck! Check out the 52 best quotes from Season 3, as well as the two episodes coming before this in the series.
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 7 quotes
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 6 quotes
Image credits: HBO