Game of Thrones as a collective has brought us many spectacular quotes, ranging from hauntingly sad ones to those lines that are bad-ass enough to make us want to start leading armies and playing the Game of Thrones ourselves. But what about the individual episodes?
Join us at Goat of Thrones as we bring you the best Game of Thrones quotes from each individual episode. We start, of course, where the story starts, with the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 1.
1.“Winter is coming” – Ned Stark
The Stark house words are a repeated reference throughout the series, Ned warns us that winter and all the hardships that come with it is coming for us.
2. “The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword” – Ned Stark
Ever honorable is our Ned Stark, and he shows it by performing the gruesome task of beheading a deserter of The Night’s Watch himself, saying that those who would condemn others to die must be willing to carry out the act themselves.
3. “I don’t fight in tournaments, because when I fight a man for real, I don’t want him to know what I can do” – Ned Stark
The fountain of quotes from Ned continues as he tells Jaime Lannister the reason for not fighting in tournaments – and it’s intimidating, smart, and hints at a future conflict between the two all at the same time. What a wordsmith.
4. “He only stops eating when it’s time for a drink” – Catelyn Stark
Cat accurately sums up Robert, his reputation, and his size with this line. The man loves his food and drink.
5. “You remember me at 16? All I wanted to do was crack skulls and fuck girls” – Robert Baratheon
Robert reminisces about how Jon Arryn tried to straighten him out when he was younger, though includes the fact that it wasn’t Jon Arryn’s fault that Robert didn’t listen – he’s the same even as an adult after all.
6. “In my dreams, I kill him every night” – Robert Baratheon
When Ned shows Robert the crypt of Lyanna Stark in Winterfell, it draws emotion from Robert who loved her dearly. He tells Ned how every night he dreams of killing Rhaegar Targaryen, as it was believed he kidnapped her before her death.
7. “I’m sorry, I’ve begun the feast a bit early. And this is the first of many courses” – Tyrion Lannister
First impressions are always important, and it’s fitting that we’re introduced to Tyrion in a brothel as he so often is. This quote shows us his wit and his enjoyment of whores delivered, as usual, in a beautifully-sounding line.
8. “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion gives Jon Snow some sage advice after he recoils from being called a Bastard. Tyrion, having been mocked for his stature all his life, encourages Jon to embrace who he is, using it as a defense mechanism rather than taking offense from it. It is one of the most iconic quotes from Tyrion.
9. “All dwarves are bastards in their father’s eyes” – Tyrion Lannister
After Tyrion’s prudent counsel the quote before, Jon asks Tyrion what he knows about being a bastard, to which he replies that, in the eyes of their father’s, dwarves are bastards.
10. “And Robert will choose a new hand of the king, someone to do his job while he’s off, fucking boars and hunting whores, or is it the other way around?” – Jaime Lannister
Jaime demonstrating his lack of regard for the rules and the enjoyment of a joke while his Sister frets about Jon Arryn revealing a secret of theirs. Beside painting a hilarious image in our mind, he also conveys what most of Robert’s days consist of.
11. “The things I do for love” – Jaime Lannister
A line that sticks with everyone from Game of Thrones is Jaime’s short and heartless reasoning behind pushing a ten year old from a window a fatal distance from the ground. It throws us into the cruel Game of Thrones world right from the first episode and leaves absolutely no one thinking, “I don’t think I’ll watch another episode.” Now that’s the sign of a good quote.
12. “Think of all those southern girls he gets to stab with his right royal prick” – Theon Greyjoy
Theon turns Robb’s calling of the prince “a right royal prick” into a jealous train of thought focused on the amount of girls he gets due to his status.
13. “There is no word for thank you in Dothraki” – Jorah Mormont
What better way to show everyone what a savage and unemotional lot the Dothraki are by revealing Daenerys can’t even thank Khal Drogo for her new horse because they have no word to show gratitude? Truly a brilliant quote that sends a clear message that the Dothraki do not mess around.
14. “A Dothraki wedding without at least 3 deaths is considered a dull affair” – Illyrio Mopatis
Once more, the brutality of the Dothraki is thrust into our faces as Illyrio laughs as he tells Viserys that Dothraki weddings are dull without 3 murders. In just two quotes we are informed of the nature of the Dothraki.
15. “I would let his whole tribe fuck you, all 40,000 men, and their horses too, if that’s what it took” – Viserys Targaryen
Ah, love between siblings. Usually such a deeply-founded feeling, though clearly Viserys doesn’t quite have the same compassion for his sister. His disregard for other people’s well being and his obsession with mounting the Iron Throne of Westeros draw this extreme quote from him.
Image credit: HBO