Episode 1 of Season 8 is in the past! It’s an exciting time to be a Game of Thrones fan. The series is concluding, with what is perhaps the most awaited ending to a TV series that the world has ever witnessed.
We’ll be counting through Season 8’s best quotes throughout it, and we’re here with Season 8 Episode 1’s quotes and all their context from this first encounter of some fresh Game of Thrones.
Without further ado, let’s jump in…
1. “You should consider yourself lucky. At least your balls won’t freeze off” – Tyrion Lannister
Ah, yes. Of course a new season must start with a eunuch joke. We’re sorry, Varys, but this one was too good! As Tyrion and Lord Varys ride towards Winterfell through the perishing snow, Tyrion drops this brilliant line out of the blue.
2. “I know…I know! Our people haven’t been friends in the past. But we must fight together now. Or die.” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion makes the brave move of addressing a chamber full of northerners that the Lannister army was marching North at that very moment to aid them in their fight against the army of the dead. He is, of course, met with resistance, so quickly diffuses the situation with this quote.
Daenerys has been warming into her role as monarch all series, and in Season 8 she is a picture of regal and absolute rule. This much is clear when Sansa asks vaguely what it is dragons eat, so Dany responds with this powerful line.
4. “Many underestimated you. Most of them are dead now” – Tyrion Lannister
In a conversation full of memories and what feels like mutual respect, Tyrion and Sansa commend each other on surviving the odds life has put them through. Tyrion says this line to Sansa, speaking on how the noble’s of King’s Landing made a grave error in underestimating Sansa Stark, and most that did now lay dead while she rules Winterfell.
5. “Once or twice” – Arya Stark
The reunion between Jon and Arya bundles six seasons worth of emotion into their meeting and their hug, but its this line that tugs at your heartstrings the most. Jon notices Needle on Arya’s waist, and asks if she’s ever had to use it, ignorant to how much she has grown in the world since their last meeting. A stoic smile on her face, Arya replies with this line.
6. “She’s the smartest person I’ve ever met” – Arya Stark
During the conversation between Jon and Arya as they reunite, Jon makes an offhand joke that Sansa thinks she’s the smartest person ever. Having missed much of her growth, Arya corrects Jon by telling him she is the smartest person she has ever met.
7. “But we’re family. The last greyjoys left in the world. The last ones with balls, anyway” – Euron Greyjoy
Game of Thrones does love its quotes about eunuchs, and when Euron is tormenting his captive sister he drops in this snarky finish to an otherwise-wholesome quote.
8. “They cheated at dice. Or maybe I cheated. Someone cheated. They weren’t good fighters; you won’t miss them” – Euron Greyjoy
Euron has to justify the men who died in transit after he and his Iron Fleet arrive at King’s Landing in front of Cersei. His excuse was that they cheated. Or, at least, someone cheated at dice.
9. “You want a whore? Buy one. You want a queen? Earn her” – Cersei Lannister
It has always been made clear by Euron that his primary hope from his alliance with Cersei was to sleep with the queen, but Cersei makes her principles clear with this awesome quote.
10. “The Karstarks. One of the better sigils. Beats an Onion anyway” – Tyrion Lannister
Ser Davos Seaworth is known as the Onion Knight due to the Onion sigil he took when he was knighted. Tyrion mocks this in his quote as he praises the Karstark’s banner, but Davos has never taken any shame in his choice of colors.
11. “On the off-chance that we survive the Night King, what if the Seven Kingdoms, for once in their whole, shit history, were ruled by a just woman, and an honorable man?” – Davos Seaworth
Ser Davos has always been one to see a fair rule across the seven kingdoms, and his stance doesn’t change when he sees how strong Dany and Jon seem together while strolling the Winterfell grounds.
12. “You overestimate our influence. Jon and Daenerys don’t want to listen to lonely old men…respect is how the young keep us at a distance, so we don’t remind them of an unpleasant truth…nothing lasts” – Lord Varys
Our favorite spymaster is back with another brilliant Game of Thrones quote, this time about how the young view the old.
13. “Nobody does, until they ride a dragon” – Daenerys Targaryen
Somehow, Dany convinces Jon to go on a spontaneous trip around the North with her on the back of a dragon. Just before they set off he does answer back with this issue, but Daenerys quickly bats it aside with this great, fearless quote.
14. “You’re a cold, little bitch, aren’t you? Guess that’s why you’re still alive” – The Hound
The Hound has always been the speaker of truth in Game of Thrones, and he gives his assessment of why Arya has survived when she refuses to apologize for leaving him for dead when they last met.
15. “You don’t know any other rich girls” – Arya Stark
It looks like Arya’s humor is fully intact despite her status as a deathly Ninja of Westeros (is that the correct terminology). Gendry mocks her for having Valyrian Steel, saying he knew she was just another rich girl, to which Arya quickly responds that he knows no other rich girls.
16. “You gave up your crown to save your people. Would she do the same?” – Samwell Tarly
In the shocking revelation that Jon Snow is, in fact, Aegon Targaryen, it is made clear that he is the rightful heir of the Seven Kingdoms if you follow the lineage down, as Daenerys has been doing to justify her claim. Sam says this quote as Jon had sacrificed the crown of “King in the North” that the Northmen had bestowed upon him to save the North, so would Dany be willing to give up power as well to save and unite the Seven Kingdoms over its rightful ruler?
One week down, and we’re already through an episode of Game of Thrones Season 8! This one felt introductory – setting the scene for the plotlines that are sure to carry through the season, but it left us very hyped to see what HBO have in store for us next Sunday.
You know you can follow along at Goat of Thrones where we break down episodes, seasons and characters from Game of Thrones and list their best quotes.
Until then, Westeros!