Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 5 was pretty banging for quotes, and had some strong ones from the likes of Samwell Tarly as he leaves the Citadel, Bronn as he hounds after the elusive castle he was promised, and Davos as he gets philosophical.
Here are the best Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 5 quotes!
1. “Listen to me, cunt. Till I get what I’m owed, a dragon doesn’t get to kill ya, you don’t get to kill ya, only I get to kill ya” – Bronn
Having been promised a castle by Ser Jaime, Bronn is pissed off when Jaime almost gets himself killed by one of Dany’s dragons. In true sellsword fashion, he explains how if Jaime dies knowing will be around to give him his castle.
2. “This isn’t a war we can win” – Jaime Lannister
Jaime returns after being ambushed by Daenerys and her dragon and tells Cersei about the shocking battle he had witnessed. With the combined strength of the Dothraki and Dany’s dragons, he tells Cersei to her face that they can’t win this war.
3. “So we fight and die or we submit and die – I know my choice” – Cersei Lannister
With their options laid out in front of them regarding the war with Daenerys – which includes fighting and dying or submitting and dying – Cersei says with steely defiance that she knows which of the two she would choose, and that Jaime should too.
4. “We both want to help people. We can only help them from a position of strength. Sometimes strength is terrible” – Daenerys Targaryen
The first showing of a dragon vs Westerosi troops continues to drive the good quotes, with this one coming as Daenerys is forced to justify her actions to Jon Snow. She compares their desires to help people, before saying that sometimes terrible things must happen before this comes to pass.
5. “Nothing fucks you harder than time” – Davos Seaworth
Gendry is a sight for sore eyes when we see him in King’s Landing, back on the street of steel. Davos absentmindedly says how he barely recognises himself in front of Gendry, which leads to him saying this quote. You can take it for whatever meaning you think suits best because there certainly is a few!
6. “As my father used to say: it’s better to be a coward for a minute, than dead for the rest of your life” – Davos Seaworth
True words indeed, and particularly relevant to come from a smuggler.
7. “These maesters, they set me to the ask of preserving that man’s window counting, and annulments, and bowel movements for all eternity, while the secret to defeating the Night’s King is probably sitting on some dusty shelf somewhere, completely ignored. But that’s all right, isn’t it? We can all become slavering, murderous imbeciles in thrall to evil incarnate as long as we can have access to the full record’s of High Septon Maynard’s 15,782 shits!” – Samwell Tarly
It’s a lengthy quote, but we finally see Sam flying off the hinge. Sent to the Citadel to find a way to defeat the Night King, Sam becomes infuriated with his lesser tasks and uses this speech to vent to gilly. After this, Gilly corrects that he meant steps, not shits, and then the pair along with Gilly’s son leave the Citadel. Short tenure as a maester, eh?
8. “I’m tired of reading about the achievements of better men” – Samwell Tarly
Sam explains his leaving of the Night’s Watch in one glorious line, a line drawn from something his father said to him of what it’s like to be a maester.
Some really great ones in this episode! Remember to check out the best quotes from the whole of Game of Thrones Season 6 while you’re here, as well the quotes from the episodes before this.
Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 4
Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 3
Image credits: HBO