Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 3 is a quote-heavy episode due to some pretty intense discussions regarding the capturing of Highgarden, whether or not the dead are real and more. And that’s great with us!
Here are the best Game of Thrones Quotes from Season 7 Episode 3.
1. “A long and bloody tale. To be honest I was drunk for most of it” – Tyrion Lannister
Ever inquisitive, Tyrion tells Jon he’d very much like to hear how a recruit in the Night’s Watch became King in the North. Jon consents as long as Tyrion tells a story in return: how he became hand of the queen to Daenerys Targaryen.
2. “Oh I doubt that. Give us common folk one taste of power and we’re like the lion who tasted man – nothing is ever so sweet again” – Lord Varys
Varys and Melisandre, two people who have risen from the depths of depravity to sit shoulder to shoulder with the greatest monarchs in the land, talk while gazing down at Jon arriving in Dragonstone. Melisandre tries to tell Varys that her time whispering in the ears of king is over but, as a common person who’s tasted power himself, he tells her that he doubts this.
3. “I have been sold like a broodmare. I’ve been chained and betrayed, raped and defiled. Do you know what kept me standing through all those years in exile? Faith. Not in any gods, not in myths and legends, in myself. In Daenerys Targaryen” – Daenerys Targaryen
A very epic speech from Dany as she tells Jon her story that has led her to reclaiming Dragonstone whilst Jon is trying to convince her and Tyrion that the army of the dead is real. Definitely one of her best and most powerful quotes of the series.
4. “If we don’t put aside our enmities and band together, we will die. And then it doesn’t matter whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne” – Ser Davos
Despite being raised in Flea Bottom and having been taught to read by a child, Davos has a hand for epic speeches. This line comes when he tries to make Daenerys and Tyrion see reason on banding together to defeat the dead.
5. “Listen, if you have any advice at all I’d love to hear it when we have an hour or two to speak as brothers. Does she like it gentle or rough? A finger in the bum?” – Euron Greyjoy
Euron’s brashness knows no bounds, as he taunts Jaime by asking if he has any advice on pleasing Cersei. He knows he can get away with so obviously annoying Jaime as they’re both in the throne room in front of hundreds of their supplicants.
6. “I came down here to brood over my failure to predict the Greyjoy attack. You’re making it difficult; you look a lot better brooding than I do. You make me feel like I’m failing at brooding over failing” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s clever and funny line when he sees Jon also standing by the cliffs brooding whilst staring into the distance.
7. “Don’t fight in the north or the south. Fight every battle, everywhere, always, in your mind. Everyone is your enemy, everyone is your friend, every possible series of events is happening, all at once. Live that way, and nothing will surprise you. Everything that happens will be something that you’ve seen before” – Lord Baelish
One of the most distrusting Game of Thrones quotes there’s been comes in Season 7 Episode 3 when Sansa tells Sansa his advice on which war to fight…which is to say all of them at once, only in her head to outfit for herself for any eventuality. It gives a rare look inside of the workings of Baelish’s minds, one of the greatest in the seven kingdoms.
8. “Casterly Rock is an impregnable fortress. But as a good friend of mine once said: give me 10 good men, and I’ll impregnate the bitch” – Tyrion Lannister
During the epic montage that sees Grey Worm and a small squad of Unsullied use the secret passage Tyrion built into Casterly Rock when he designed its sewers, this is part of his monologue over it. He pays homage to something Bronn said in Season 1 when he heard how the Eyrie is impregnable, and said he could impregnate it with 10 good men and some climbing spikes.
9. “He really was a cunt, wasn’t he?” – Olenna Tyrell
Olenna spots that Jaime is using Joffrey’s old sword, and asks him to remind her what he named it. Upon hearing it was called “Widow’s Wail” she says this out of disbelief.
10. “Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me” – Olenna Tyrell
After drinking the poison wine Jaime offers her as an alternative to the horrid methods of death Cersei had planned for Olenna, she is free to tell Jaime just who killed his son Joffrey. Her last words ask him to tell Cersei, saying she wants her to know who killed her son.
Some really solid ones in this episode! We look forward to recapping all that Season 7 had to offer! Be sure to also check out the best Game of Thrones quotes from Season 6, as well as the two episodes that came before this smasher.
Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 2
Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 1
Image credits: HBO