The second episode of Game of Thrones Season 7 continues the hot streak that Episode 1 had set up for it. Dany begins revealing her plans to her war council on how best they can take Westeros without shedding blood of the innocents
1. “Incompetence should not be rewarded with blind loyalty. As long as I have my eyes I’ll use them” – Lord Varys
Varys returns to quote city with this great one showing how he takes it upon himself to seek out fit rulers. He is defending himself in this quote for switching the monarch he served so often when Dany questions him on it, and says incompetent rulers should not just be allowed to rule.
2. “You wish to know where my true loyalties lie? Not with any king or queen, but with the people. The people who suffer under despots and prosper under just rule, the people whose hearts you aim to win” – Lord Varys
Varys’ epic quote when Dany is questioning his loyalty that repeats his sentiment from the first season that he does truly serve the realm.
3. “Commoners, nobles – they’re all just children really. They won’t obey you unless they fear you” – Olenna Tyrell
Dany’s war council on Dragonstone is a troublesome bunch seeing as some of them detest the others, such as Ellaria Sand’s predisposition to hate Tyrion because of his last name, and some, like Olenna, are vying for blood. It’s this that drives this quote from the Queen of Thorns.
4. “The Lords of Westeros are sheep. Are you a sheep? No, you’re a dragon. Be a dragon” – Olenna Tyrell
In the same scene, Dany asks to speak to Olenna after the war council to try and make her see how what she’s doing will bring peace to the seven kingdoms. Olenna counsels Dany not to listen to her hand because the Lords of Westeros are all sheep.
5. “I was never the biggest, never the strongest, but I was bravest, always. Until I meet Missandei from the Isle of Narth. Now, I have fear” – Grey Worm
Grey Worm recalls to Missandei how, when he was being trained among the unsullied, despite not being the strongest or the biggest of them he was the bravest – he had no fear. Tearing up, he tells her that this is no longer the case as he has fears surrounding her, because he cares for her.
Some pretty epic quotes in this episode indeed! If your thirst for iconic and memorable Game of Thrones quote is not yet quenched, visit our best quotes of Game of Thrones quotes from Season 6, or check out the two episodes preceding this one.
Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 1
Game of Thrones Season 6 Episode 10
Image credit: HBO