The first episode of GoT Season 5 kicks off with a bang, creating lots of interesting storylines and setting the stage nicely for the rest of the season. As such, its quotes are great and strong in number. Here are the best Game of Thrones Season 5 Episode 1 quotes.
1. “Everyone wants to know their future, until they know their future” – Maggy
Maggy is the Witch who reads Cersei’s future when she was a young girl after the young princess demanded it of her. She did warn that not everyone wants to see what awaits them, though, in this eerie quote.
2. “Tyrion may be a monster but at least he killed our father on purpose. You killed him by mistake” – Cersei Lannister
The two Lannister children left in King’s Landing after Tywin’s death at the hand of Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime, discuss his passing and its meaning together over his corpse. Cersei blames it on Tyrion, as she should, but then also ropes Jaime into it as she knows it was he that set Tyrion free that night.
After being shipped (literally) across the Narrow Sea to Pentos in a box that gave him no room to stand up, move around, or do anything other than huddle inside in, Tyrion has a great stretch where his pain and discomfort is very visible. Varys allows Tyrion a good minute to do this, before simply adding “Apologies” when Tyrion glowers at him as his sorry for Tyrion’s mode of transport. Talk about a lackluster apology.
4. “Angry snakes lash out. Makes chopping off their heads that much easier” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany orders that the Unsullied soldier who was assassinated by the Sons of the Harpy be publicly buried in a site that the Meereenese worship.
5. “I don’t want anyone following me…I’m not a leader. All I ever wanted was to fight for a lord I believed in; the good lords are dead and the rest are monsters” – Brienne
Brienne of Tarth reveals her goals to Podrick which are to follow a good lord, though she mentions how difficult this is now that all the good ones are dead.
6. “Why? They all know about me anyway. Everybody knows everything about everyone. What’s the point in trying to keep a secret in a place like this?” – Loras Tyrell
Margaery walks into Loras’ chambers to remind him that they’re meeting the king, only to find him and another man naked in bed – something highly frowned upon in King’s Landing. She suggests he be a bit more discreet, causing him to say this quote about the nature of King’s Landing. You can’t really argue with it.
7. “I don’t believe in saviors. I believe men of talent have a part to play in the war to come” – Lord Varys
Being questioned to his intentions in releasing Tyrion, Lord Varys reveals that he did it for the Seven Kingdoms and his belief that Tyrion can bring great change to them.
8. “The powerful have always preyed on the powerless that’s how they became powerful in the first place” – Tyrion Lannister
Varys urges Tyrion to help him reform the Seven Kingdoms into a land where the powerful don’t subjugate the powerless to all manners of horrors, though Tyrion is skeptical as shown in this quote of his.
9. “Who said anything about him?” – Lord Varys
Varys describes what the seven kingdoms needs – a ruler with strength, but compassion, who inspires love but also keeps the other nobles in line, and that has the right family name. Tyrion scoffs and says good luck to finding this man, which Varys cleverly turns with this quote making it clear he means to ally Tyrion with Daenerys.
10. “I’ll be honest with you: I don’t want to die. And burnt to death? I don’t want people to remember me like that – scorched and screaming. But it’s better than betraying everything I believe” – Mance Rayder
Weighing up whether he should accept Stannis’ offer of bending the knee and supplying the wildling army and living, or refusing and being burnt alive, Mance gives his thoughts that show his stubborn nature.
11. “The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted” – Mance Rayder
Jon turns to leave Mance’s cell after failing to convince him to side with Stannis, meaning the king beyond the wall was destined to die, before saying one last line: that he though Mance was making a terrible mistake. Mance’s reply is brilliant and encapsulates everything the wildlings believe in.
A nice healthy amount of GoT quotes from Episode 1 of Season 5. While you’re here be sure to look through the 45 greatest, most epic, most hilarious quotes from Game of Thrones Season 4. Or, take a peek through the episodes that led to this one.
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 10
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 9
Image credits: HBO