Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 9 is a thrilling episode that details the wildling assault on the wall as the Night’s Watch have to defend an attack on two fronts. This episode lacks humor, but its quotes are epic and emotional and all top quality. Here are the best Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 9 quotes.
1. “We’re all gonna die a lot sooner than I’d planned. You’re the closest I’ll ever get to knowing” – Samwell Tarly
Sam endears himself to us with this quote to Jon as they stand watch on top of the wall. Prior to this, he’d asked Jon what it was like to be with someone romantically, to love them while they love you back. He says hearing what Jon found would be the closest he’ll get to knowing now that there is a wildling attack incoming.
2. “I know you never fucked a bear. You know you never fucked a bear. Right now, I don’t wanna think about the bear you never fucked” – Ygritte
Tormund begins telling a story of a “beast” he fucked, which Ygritte reveals to be a bear. The fiesty Ygritte interrupts him as she’s not in the mood for false stories as their attack on Castle Black nears, shutting him up with this quote.
3. “Thousands of books, and no eyes to read them! Old age is a wonderful source of ironies, if nothing else” – Maester Aemon
The Maester and Sam are talking in the library when Aemon makes this exclamation, though with a smile on his face, telling of the ironies that growing old creates.
4. “Nothing makes the past as sweet a place to visit, than the prospect of imminent death” – Maester Aemon
In his same conversation with Sam in the library, the Maester drops this chilling and poignant quote on us, that in the face of imminent death nowhere seems sweeter to visit than the past to relive the best parts of your life.
5. “Pip, open the fucking gate!” – Samwell Tarly
Gilly requests access to Castle Black having survived the wildling raid on Mole’s Town thanks to Ygritte’s mercy, though Pip denies her entry as Ser Alliser gave him orders that the gate opens for nobody. After asking politely, Sam loses his cool for the first time ever on the show and swears at Pip. This gets him to open the gate.
6. “D’you know what leadership means, Lord Snow? It means that the person in charge gets second-guessed by every clever little twat with a mouth. But if he starts second-guessing himself, that’s the end. For him, for the clever little twats, for everyone” – Ser Alliser Thorne
As the Wildlings attack the Wall from the north, Thorne acknowledges to Jon that he was right about sealing the tunnel with water and rocks to bar their entry. He justifies his decision to ignore Jon, though, with this quote, warning of the dangers of second-guessing oneself about your decision when you’re a leader.
7. “If someone had asked me my name, right then, I wouldn’t have known. I wasn’t Samwell Tarly anymore. I wasn’t a steward in the Night’s Watch, or son of Randyll Tarly, or any of that. I was nothing at all. And when you’re nothing at all, there’s no more reason to be afraid….Yes, well, I’m not nothing anymore” – Samwell Tarly
Sam recalls his White Walker encounter to Pip, who asks him how come he wasn’t afraid to kill the Walker. Sam reveals in this quote the reason why, before ending it by saying he is no longer nothing when Pip asks him how comes he’s afraid of the wildlings attacking Castle Black.
8. “Those are giants riding mammoths down there!” – Jon Snow
Jon confronts a terrified Janos Slynt who is refusing to believe that the gate of the wall will fall just because it is 4 inches of cold steel. He has to try and scream some sense in the man, so reminds him that there are giants riding mammoths down there.
9. “D’you remember that cave? We should’ve stayed in that cave” – Ygritte
Ygritte’s last few words as she lies, dying, in Jon’s arms are emotional ones, the most striking of them being this one where she brings a scene from last season up where they made love in a cave, saying they should never have left that safe haven. Seeing as these are some of her last words, it’s one of the most heart-wrenching quotes from GoT Season 4.
Couldn’t have ended the installment with a better quote, could we? Be sure to visit the best quotes from the whole of Game of Thrones Season 3 while you’re here as well as the best quotes from the two episode preceding this one.
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 8
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 7
Image credits: HBO