Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 6 has possibly been the best episode we’ve ever done for GoT quotes, largely down to the ending which has Tyrion’s epic speech to the nobles of King’s Landing after he’s stitched up in the trial for Joffrey’s death. Still, there is plenty of quotes goodness before that, so here are the greatest Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 6 quotes!
1. “You’re not my friend, my friend” – Salladhor Saan
Ser Davos ropes the pirate captain Salladhor Saan into yet another of his voyages with Stannis to try and secure the throne after tempting the man with a purse full of gold. Davos tells Salladhor just as he leaves that he left a crate of the “good stuff” with his wife. Salladhor Saan then says this quote jokingly, as Davos has revealed he is married in front of the two girls he was with.
2. “They skinned our countrymen, and they mutilated my brother, your prince. YOUR PRINCE! Everything they’ve done to him they’ve also done to you. As long as they can hurt our prince with impunity, the word “Ironborn” means nothing!” – Yara Greyjoy
Yara makes a rare appearance in a best Game of Thrones quotes installment for S4, with this epic speech meant to rouse her troops as they head to the Dreadfort to free Theon from the depraved clutches of Ramsay Snow.
3. “This is turning into a lovely evening” – Ramsay Snow
Having slept with Myranda already, Ramsay is in good spirits. His circumstances improve even more when he discovers the Ironborn trying to free Theon from the kennels, though the brainwashing of Ramsay has left him thinking it’s a trick and is resisting animalistically. Ramsay sums up the events with this peculiarly out of place quote.
4. “My brother’s dead” – Yara Greyjoy
Despite being the one to suggest rescuing Theon from the Bolton’s grasp and always defending Theon from Balon’s wrath, Yara comes away from the failed rescue with the outlook that her brother is dead, replaced by Reek.
5. “My birds tell me The Hound slaughtered five of our soldiers. I believe the phrase “Fuck the King” was uttered” – Lord Varys
As the first order of business in the Small Council meeting, Varys brings up a spotting of The Hound in the riverlands. He reveals the details of this spotting, shocking Mace Tyrell who doesn’t seem used to anything but the niceties of nobility.
6. “Lord Varys is right. I have been to Essos and seen the Unsullied first hand. They are very impressive on the battlefield. Less so in the bedroom” – Oberyn Martell
Oberyn’s inclusion in the Small Council certainly adds another layer of humor to the meetings, as he sits there slouching in his chair, without a care in the world discussing his bedroom adventures with the Unsullied in the presence of Tywin and Cersei Lannister.
7. “And yet everyone does” – Oberyn Martell
More a quote to show the power of Varys is this one, though it is said by Oberyn. The Dornish prince approaches Varys in the throne room and greets him with the usual “Lord Varys”. The Eunuch responds that just “Varys” will do fine; no is under any obligation to call him a lord as he’s not a nobleman. Oberyn then replies that yet everyone does, to which Varys smiles modestly.
8. “It is a big and beautiful world. Most of us live and die in the same corner where we were born in, never get to see any of it. I don’t want to be most of us” – Oberyn Martell
Varys probes the prince as to why he spent 5 years in Essos, which Oberyn explains by using this brilliant and very good quote that’s certainly one to live by.
9. “Not me. When I see what desire does to people, what it’s done to this country, I am very glad to have no part in it. Besides, the absence of desire leaves one free to pursue other things” – Lord Varys
Oberyn assumes that Varys liked boys before he got cut, which Varys solemnly shakes his at. Taken aback, Oberyn tells Varys that he hopes he’s not offended to hear he never would have guessed. Varys isn’t offended, though begins to tell Oberyn that he wasn’t into girls, either. Instead, he had no desires, as he reveals in this great quote. Regarding Varys’ last sentence, Oberyn follows up on this and asks him what sort of things, so Varys tilts his head so that he is starting directly at the Iron Throne.
10. “Let me guess, I’ve been pardoned?” – Tyrion Lannister
It wouldn’t be an episode of great quotes without one from Tyrion! Jaime and a compliment of guards walk into Tyrion’s cell to take him to the trial, when he makes this joke. It only makes him more endearing that his sense of humor is so in tact.
11. “Sadly, my lord, I never forget a thing” – Lord Varys
Varys testifies against Lord Tyrion to paint him out to be guilty, a surprise to everyone watching to be sure, but not a welcome one. Tyrion calls him out on this, saying that Varys promised to remember how it was Tyrion who saved the city from Stannis’ invasion. The Master of Whisperers turns sadly to answer Tyrion’s question, which clearly suggests that he’s being forced into a false testimony. His use of the word “sadly” also makes us think that he feels weighed down with always remembering everything.
12. “I saved you. I saved this city, and all your worthless lives. I should have let Stannis kill you all!” – Tyrion Lannister
Up next we have the awesome string of Tyrion Lannister quotes that come when he gets massacred in his trail to prove his guilt of murdering Joffrey. He gets interrupted a few times and there are times where the quotes don’t flow, so we’ve separated them into four different quotes that we feel best convey each topic he addresses.
This first one is to the people watching the trial, unaware that their lives are safe because of Tyrion’s plan for the Battle of the Blackwater. He addresses how he saved them all, though with how they’ve shunned him he should have let Stannis kill them all.
13. “No, of that I’m innocent. I’m guilty of a far more monstrous crime. I’m guilty of being a dwarf. Oh, yes I am. I’ve been on trial for that my entire life” – Tyrion Lannister
The second badass quote comes after Tywin asks him to confess to killing Joffrey. Tyrion says he’s innocent of that, and reveals the true thing he is guilty of and has been standing trail for this whole time: being a dwarf.
14. “Nothing but this. I did not do it. I did not kill Joffrey but I wish that I had. Watching your vicious bastard die gave me more relief than a thousand lying whores. I wish I was the monster you think I am. I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you, I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it!” – Tyrion Lannister
Tywin asks if Tyrion does not have anything to say in his defense. Tyrion’s case has already been shattered by Cersei paying or intimidating anyone close to Tyrion to testify against him, so he says this chilling quote to the onlookers saying he wished he was the monster they thought he was; at least then maybe he’d be dying for something he actually did. He wishes the poison they think he used to murder the King could be used on them all, for he’d gladly watch them all die.
15. “I will not give my life for Joffrey’s murder and I know I’ll get no justice here, so I will let the gods decide my fate. I demand a trial by combat” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s final curveball was the only card he could play in this situation. With the crowd so against him, especially after the last three quotes, he demands a trial by combat. This at least gives him a better chance of survival than the rigged trial he had been going through.
What an episode! Those were the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 6, highlighted by Tyrion’s epic speech in his trial for killing Joffrey. Of course this has left you looking for more epic Game of Thrones quotes, which we have for you in the form of the 52 best quotes from Season 3 of GoT, as well as the two episodes that led up to this one.
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 5
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 4
Image credits: HBO