Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 5 had some great quotes from Daenerys, Baelish, The Hound and more star characters in a good mix of funny and epic quotes. Here are the best Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 5 quotes we salvaged.
1. “I will not let those I have freed slide back into chains. I will not sail for Westeros… I will do what queens do. I will rule” – Daenerys Targaryen
When stuck between choosing whether to secure her slave-free hold on the free cities of Yunkai and Astapor or to sail to King’s Landing and strike while the kingdom is in disarray, Dany chooses to prioritize the lives of those she’s already freed. She chooses to rule over Meereen, as a queen would do.
2. “Know your strengths, use them wisely, and one man can be worth ten thousand” – Lord Baelish
On their approach to the Bloody Gate of the Eyrie, Baelish lectures Sansa on the castle’s history, saying it has never been overcome in a thousand years as the first lords of the Vale knew their strengths, the mountains that surrounded them, and used them to their advantage. He draws a parallel between this and everyday life. Should you play to your strengths you can accomplish what would take ten thousand others to do.
3. “There is only one lord of the Vale. The others can all hang. Lurking and simpering on the stairs like buzzards the moment my husband died, trying to get their claws in me” – Lysa Arryn
If the past season’s had made us forget how loopy Lysa was in Season 1, this quote brings us right back to reality. She suggests to Petyr that they get married that night, which Baelish objects to, asking if they should first inform the lords of the Vale. Lysa then says this quote, showing how she cares little for the politics, and more for marrying Baelish.
4. “I know you don’t like them. I didn’t like your husband. Used to pat me on the back a lot. I didn’t trust him” – Tywin Lannister
Tywin and Cersei discuss the upcoming weddings, and upon mentioning Cersei’s with Loras, Tywin shows a bit of thoughtfulness by sympathising with how Cersei cares not for the Tyrells. He likens this to how he didn’t like Robert, though his reasoning is hilarious as to why: it was partly due to Robert patting Tywin on the back a lot.
5. “I’m almost done, only one name left…The Hound” – Arya Stark
The Hound is, as you’d expect, cranky that Arya is disturbing his sleep by reciting her lengthy list of people she’s going to kill. She tells her to get on with it after a bit of discussion, leaving Arya to say her last name.
6. “Meryn Trant? The greatest swordsman who ever lived, killed by Meryn fucking Trant?” – The Hound
The Hound finds Arya practising her water dancing and begins to mock her for her strange form of fighting. When he asks who taught her it, she replies that she was taught by the greatest swordsman who ever lived, whom she later reveals was killed by Meryn Trant. The Hound finds this hilarious, and speaks this quote regarding it which is, in our eyes, one of the funniest quotes from Game of Thrones Season 4.
7. “What good is power if you cannot protect the ones you love?” – Cersei Lannister
In her stroll with Oberyn through the gardens of King’s Landing, Cersei begins talking of how neither her nor Oberyn could save their loved ones, Elia and Joffrey, despite their power, which leads her to this quote.
8. “Mostly I poured wine” – Podrick Payne
Brienne, annoyed at his failings as a squire, asks Pod what exactly his services were under Lord Tyrion. He lists them off, before ending with this one – the bulk of his work, as we know.
If Season 4 Episode 5 has left you hungry for more Game of Thrones quotes, be sure to check out the best quotes that Game of Thrones Season 3 provided us. Or, look over the quotes from the two episodes before this.
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 4
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 3
Image credits: HBO