Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 3 deals with the aftermath of the Purple Wedding including Tyrion’s imprisonment and upcoming trial, as well as Daenerys plight against the slavers to the East. Here are the most epic, funniest and chilling Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 3 quotes.
1. “Because he was a drunk and a fool, and I don’t trust drunk fools” – Lord Baelish
Sansa gets rescued from the trauma of King’s Landing by the drunken fool Ser Dontos, only to be thrown back into traumatic situations when she watches Baelish’s men kill the man. She asks Baelish why he killed the man he’d made a deal with, to which Littlefinger replies with this quote, showing the ruthless lengths he’ll reach to protect his interests.
2. “Money buys a man’s silence for a time. A bolt in the heart buys it forever” – Lord Baelish
In the world of Game of Thrones where treason and treachery is abound in every corner, this train of thought that Baelish carries seems to be the norm with people.
3. “You may not have enjoyed watching him die, but you enjoyed it more than you would have enjoyed being married to him, I can promise you that” – Lady Olenna
Margaery is contemplating her situation in the fallout following the purple wedding, and tells her grandmother how horrible it was watching Joffrey clawing at his throat as he died. The wise Lady Olenna tells her that it may not have been pleasant, but it was a much more favorable alternative to being married to the beast.
4. “If I’m standing on it, it’s my land” – The Hound
The Hound and Arya get approached by the farmer who owns the land they’re on. Clegane asks accusedly what he wants, which surprises the farmer a touch, as he tells The Hound he’s in his land. Clegane responds with a difficult answer saying that it’s his land because he’s standing on it. Never one for social interaction, really.
5. “If I do not press my claim, my claim will be forgotten. I will not become a page in someone else’s history book” – Stannis Baratheon
Stannis informs Ser Davos of Joffrey’s death happening just a few episodes after he threw a leach filled with Gendry’s blood into the fire and muttered his name. Davos explains to Stannis that he’s been trying to rally troops to their cause, but their army lacks size. Unhappy with how he can’t move forward, Stannis says this quote which shows the dogged determination many Game of Thrones characters have to make history.
6. “Well, if you’re a famous smuggler you’re not doing it right” – Davos Seaworth
Shireen asks Ser Davos what the difference between pirates and smugglers is, so he explains.
7. “When it comes to war I fight for Dorne, when it comes to love I don’t choose sides” – Oberyn Martell
One of Baelish’s boys asked Oberyn if he likes boys and girls the same. The Dornish prince replies that both sexes delight him, and then ends his speech with this quote showing him to be a very free spirit.
8. “I would like to think, if I were arranging a royal assassination, I’d plan it in such a way that I wouldn’t be standing there gawking like a fool when the king died” – Tyrion Lannister
Pod comes to visit Tyrion in his cell and double checks with the lord that he didn’t murder joffrey. Tyrion reassures him that he didn’t, before revealing this relevant point as he was left quite the obvious culprit after Joffrey’s death. Too obvious, Tyrion says.
9. “Pod, there has never lived a more loyal squire” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion bids his farewell to Podrick as he leaves the cell that Tyrion is imprisoned in, and closes with this heartfelt quote that shows how Tyrion values his squires so much more than other lords.
You can view an extensive list of the greatest GoT quotes from Season 3 while you’re here, as well as catching up on the two episodes that built up to this one.
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 2
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 1
Image credits: HBO