Game of Thrones Season 4’s quotes kick off with a brilliant episode, with plenty happening and lots of good quotes coming from this. The Martells come to King’s Landing, Jon returns from his wildling phase, and The Hound and Arya have an interesting showdown in a tavern. Here are the best Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 1 quotes.
1. “No, but as long as I’m better than everyone else I suppose it doesn’t matter” – Jaime Lannister
Tywin’s gift of a Valyrian steel sword to Jaime is a mighty weapon, though one Jaime will have to use with his left hand. Never one for cloaking an issue with cotton wool, Tywin tells his son that he’ll never be as good with it, to which Jaime agrees but adds some spice to the situation with this quote.
2. “Seems to me, a smart place to meet travellers is in a tavern. That way, one party’s late, the other party can drink some ale inside” – Bronn
Bronn grows impatient as he waits outside of King’s Landing to receive the Dornish nobles who are visiting the city with Tyrion, so suggest that a better place to have met the prince of Dorne was in a tavern. It was worth a try, Bronn.
3. “If The Mountain killed my sister, your father gave the order. Tell your father I’m here. And tell him the Lannisters aren’t the only ones who pay their debts” – Oberyn Martell
Our first impressions of Oberyn are quite fiery, where he reveals he’s a passionate lover, a strong fighter who sends two Lannister men running off, one of them bleeding, and a man eager for revenge on the wrongs committed on his sister and her children. This is all rounded off with this brilliant, threatening quote as he tells Tyrion the rumors that The Mountain killed and raped his sister at the order of Tywin Lannister.
4. “I lie awake all night staring at the canopy, thinking about how they died” – Sansa Stark
Sansa’s refusal to eat causes Tyrion to offer to help her, but she turns this down saying how could he help her after what happened to her family at the Red Wedding? She then says this chilling quote.
5. “Better part of an afternoon” – Cersei Lannister
Jaime is quick to catch Cersei out on her exaggeration to how much care went into creating his golden hand. As he’s moaning about it, Cersei tells him to stop fussing; she spent days with the goldsmith getting the details right. Jaime looks at her with surprise and says “Days?”, making Cersei admit it was only a few hours with this quote.
6. “Think I’d let that old lecher put his hands on me? Smells like a dead cat” – Cersei Lannister
Jaime overhears Cersei thanking Qyburn for assistance with some symptoms of hers, though she doesn’t reveal what these are. He follows up by asking if she let him touch her, surprised as she never let Pycelle anywhere near her. This quote is said next and reveals the extent of dislike everyone seems to have of Pycelle in a rather funny way.
7. “I’ve seen you slip a shaft through a rabbit’s eye at 200 yards. If that boy’s still walking, it’s ‘cos you let him go” – Tormund Giantsbane
Tormund approaches Ygritte who is hypnotically cutting arrow shafts to check in with her. She tells him Jon “is” a liar, so Tormund says shouldn’t it be he “was” a liar as she said she put three arrows in him. He then tells her this quote, which reveals that she could have killed Jon in one arrow if she’d wanted, but the fact he lives shows Ygritte couldn’t bring herself to kill him.
8. “Thenns. I fucking hate Thenns” – Tormund Giantsbane
Tormund sees a signal from one of his men that people are coming, so he and Ygritte get ready to fight an oncoming force. It turns out to just be Thenns, another group of wildlings, though, which Tormund is less than thrilled about.
9. “And now you’re here; you must not have been very good at your job” – Jon Snow
Jon notices Janos Slynt scoff as he mentions giants, which causes Jon to ask if he has been north of the wall. Janos avoids the question, answering that he commanded the City Watch in King’s Landing. With barely a moment’s though, Jon replies with this awesome quote to shut him down.
10. “I grew up in King’s Landing” – Maester Aemon
Ser Alliser disagrees with Aemon’s decision to let Jon live when he returns from his Wildling adventure north of the wall, asking Aemon how he knew Jon was telling the truth, how he acquired the power to tell when people are lying. Maester Aemon simply answers with this quote; King’s Landing is of course the most treacherous city in Westeros.
11. “What the fuck’s a Lommy?” – The Hound
Arya and The Hound stop outside an inn, looking at the horses and weighing up their chances of stealing them and food seeing as there’s 5 men in there. 2 of them come out, and Arya recognises one to be Polliver, whom she says killed Lommy. Totally clueless of who this is, The Hound hilariously says this quote.
12. “Lots of cunts” – The Hound
In the same conversation as the previous quote, Arya notices that Polliver still has her sword, which she tells The Hound is called Needle. He mockingly says that of course she’s named a sword, which Arya defensively replies that lots of people name their swords. Clearly not a sword-namer himself, The Hound then says this quote.
13. “I understand that if any more words come pouring out your cunt mouth, I’m gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room” – The Hound
One episode of Game of Thrones, three great quotes from The Hound! This one comes as he is talking with Polliver, who is refusing to give The Hound one of the chickens they’ve got. Polliver tells him that he doesn’t seem to understand the situation, so The Hound replies with this hilarious threat as his next line.
14. “Something wrong with your leg, boy? Can you walk? I got to carry you? Fine little blade, maybe I’ll pick my teeth with it” – Arya Stark
Arya knocks down Polliver with a slash to his legs in the tavern brawl that her and The Hound start, which allows her to unsheathe needle from his belt. He still doesn’t recognise her, so she begins to say the exact speech he said to Lommy, ending with stabbing him through the neck with the point of needle. This is one of Arya’s most badass quotes as she gets revenge on someone on her list.
There you have it! 14 great quotes from Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 1. Be sure to check out all the 52 greatest quotes from GoT Season 3 while you’re here, as well as the two episodes before this one that closed out the previous season.
Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 10
Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 9
Image credits: HBO