Season 3 of Game of Thrones Episode 4 of Game of Thrones has some awesome quotes, and has plenty of quotes from character favorites of ours here at Goat of Thrones of Dolorous Edd and Lord Varys. From discussing the primary duties of the night’s watch to discussing King Baelish, First of His Name, King of the Ashes and The Burned Men, here are the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 4.
1. “Ah, look. More shit. I was starting to wonder what to do with the rest of my day” – Dolorous Edd
Our favorite Night’s Watch duo Edd and Grenn are shovelling shit in the pig pen of Craster’s Keep, when Dolorous Edd drops this hilarious line. This comment follows a discussion of how shovelling is the majority of the Night’s Watchmen’s duties.
2. “I became an excellent thief, and soon learned that the contents of a man’s letters are more valuable than the contents of his purse” – Lord Varys
Recalling how he got cut as a boy to Lord Tyrion, Varys reveals how he survived after a sorcerer had cut off his manhood and threw him out to the streets to die. This quote is an example of Varys’ trade; how people’s secrets are more valuable than their material wealth.
3. “Influence grows like a weed. I tended mine patiently, until its tendrils reached from the Red Keep all the way across to the far side of the world, where I managed to wrap them around something very special” – Lord Varys
The stark ambition that Varys’ holds is seen in spades in Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 4 as he tells Tyrion how he moves from the slums of Myr to the Small Council. This quote is particularly epic, as he reveals how his influence grew over all the years of his life, and finally reached a point where he was able to find and bring the sorcerer who cut him to his King’s Landing quarters, bound in a box, to inevitably endure a painful death.
4. “I choose my allies carefully, and my enemies more carefully still” – Lord Varys
Have we made you a Varys fan with these quotes of his so far? Here’s another awesome Varys quote, where he tells the Lady Olenna that though he chooses his allies with care, even more planning goes into choosing his enemies.
5. “Actually, I rather enjoy him. But he would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes” – Lord Varys
An absolute amazing quote and easily our favorite quote from Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 4 is this one from Varys about Baelish. Olenna joyfully says that Varys must absolutely despise Littlefinger with how much he tries to undermine him. Varys admits that the truth is actually quite different. He enjoys sparring with Baelish, but the threat he poses to the realm is significant as his desire for power is such that he’d destroy the world if it gave him the crown over it.
6. “All he laid siege to was the banquet table in the command tent” – Lady Olenna
Often seen talking down about her son, Mace Tyrell, Olenna dismisses Cersei’s thought that her son had in fact seen a real battle when he laid siege to Storm’s End. Olenna reveals that all Mace laid siege to was the food.
7. “Another golden rose – how original. I eat from plates stamped with roses, I sleep in sheets embroidered with roses, I have a golden rose painted on my chamber pot. As if that makes it smell any better. Roses are boring, dear” – Lady Olenna
A very turned-on lady and beyond the fake people and their machinations abound in King’s Landing, Olenna shows it with this quote. A Tyrell girl makes her something with a rose on it, which prompts Olenna to give this speech, bringing in a funny example about her chamber pot to show the redundancy of fancy arts and formalities.
8. “My real father lost his head at King’s Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong” – Theon Greyjoy
A rare heartfelt quote from Theon in GoT Season 3 Episode 4 as he reveals to Ramsay Snow, who he believes to be on his side, that his real father was Ned Stark. And that when Theon went to the Iron Islands at the behest of Robb and then betrayed the Starks to serve his biological father, this was the wrong choice.
9. “You have a taste, one taste of the real world – where people have important things taken from them, and you whine and cry and quit. You sound like a bloody woman” – Brienne
One of Brienne’s best quotes is said in this episode to a whimpering and moping Jaime Lannister who has been separated from his beloved sword hand. Refusing to eat and accepting death instead, Brienne snaps at him that when the spoiled royal gets one taste of the real world he curls up and gives up. The effect of this quote was such that it made Jaime start eating again.
10. “If you mean to murder me then bloody well get on with it” – The Hound
When The Hound is brought before the Brotherhood without Banners for trial, Beric Dondarrion begins rambling on about how he and the rest of his followers had embraced the red god. Not one for messing around, The Hound instructs them to get a move on if they are planning to kill him.
Catch up on the best quotes, one-liners, and speeches from the previous episodes in Game of Thrones Season 3 with our quote features on Episodes 1, Episode 2, and Episode 3.
Be sure you’re following us on Twitter, where we post daily Game of Thrones quotes to brighten (or darken if you see one from The Hound) your day!
Image credits: HBO