Game of Thrones Season 2 certainly didn’t disappoint in the quote department, providing 38 stellar lines to remember the season by. From Tyrion’s manipulations, Stannis’ conquest, to Daenerys’ treacherous stay in Qarth, here are the best Game of Thrones quotes Season 2 produced.
1. “You know nothing, Jon Snow” – Ygritte
This is the first time Ygritte says this iconic Game of Thrones quote to Jon. What prompted her to say what would become one of the series’ most famous and best love quotes was this: after saying she can teach Jon how to have sex, Jon defensively says he already knows how to, eliciting this first “You know nothing, Jon Snow” out of Ygritte in response.
2. “I hope you enjoy the wall. I found it surprisingly beautiful, in a brutal, horribly uncomfortable sort of way” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s last words to Lord Janos are incredible, as he sends the disgraced commander off the serve on the wall, saying he found it beautiful, just in horrible ways.
3. “Thousands” – Stannis Baratheon
This is one of the most chilling quotes in the whole of Game of Thrones. Despite Tyrion’s wildfire disrupting Stannis’ assault to a spectacular level, he pushes on with the assault, commanding his troops to land, despite the wildfire still burning and the Lannister archers. He’s told that hundreds will die doing this. He shrugs off the moral warning, answering back with a single word to correct the man. “Thousands”.
4. “Have you known many men? I suppose not. Women?… Horses? – Jaime Lannister
Jaime’s torment of his captor who is bound by duty not to harm him provides no limit to the extremes he can go. He asks Brienne if she’s been with many men, answering his own question before wondering what she may have been with, ending with a particularly insulting suggestion of horses.
5. “I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy, and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you’ll know the debt is paid” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s threatening and bone-chilling speech to Cersei after she shows him the whore she has discovered and beaten is most memorable. The suspense grips us as the girl comes out as Cersei believes this whore is Tyrion’s lover, though it relieves us when turns out to be Ros rather than Shae. Nevertheless, Tyrion threatens Cersei with a vow to rip her joy from her and turn it to ash when she thinks she’s happy. Tyrion’s threat is certainly one of the more memorable Game of Thrones quotes Season 2 gave us.
6. “But a man without friends is a man without power” – Lord Renly Baratheon
Renly and Stannis’ awkward stand-off in neutral ground to try and work out some sort of truce shows the two opposites squabbling as you’d expect them to. Renly says how Stannis never wanted any friends, calling this a mistake as friends bring you power. This certainly seems to be the case in this situation as Renly outnumbers Stannis heavily due to the support of the Tyrells and their bannermen.
7. “You want to be hand of the king? You want to rule? This is what ruling is. Lying on a bed of weeds ripping them out by the root one by one before they strangle you in your sleep” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei gives a lesson to Tyrion on the horrible ordeals ruling can demand. This is, however, her response to Tyrion questioning her about the Gold Cloaks murdering babies just because they are Robert’s bastards. So, not really an excuse, Cersei.
8. “You insult yourself, Kingslayer. You’ve been defeated by a boy, you’re held captive by a boy, perhaps you’ll be killed by a boy” – Robb Stark
After Jaime Lannister asks Robb if it insults him to be called boy, Robb diplomatically handles the condescending remark by telling Jaime he insults himself, saying he’s held captive by a boy and might just be killed by one.
9. “And what of my magic? You saw me step into the fire, you watched the witch burn, what did the flames do to me, do you remember?” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany’s response to Jorah when he warns her of going into the House of the Undying as the Warlock’s magic is strong. She reminds him of the birth of her dragons and her survival against certain death in an attempt to displace his fears. After all, what magic can top that?
10. “I’m yours, and you’re mine” – Shae
Shae’s words to Tyrion. What to say about this other than it’s an iconic quote from the love story between Shae and Tyrion that Game of Thrones Season 2 explores.
11. “I should have been born a man. I’d rather face a thousand swords than be shut up inside with this flock of frightened hens” – Cersei Lannister
The clear malcontent in the group of women being sheltered from the Battle of the Blackwater, Cersei says that she’d rather face a thousand enemies than sit inside and wait to die with her frightened, pampered company. It shows her lust for action as opposed to inaction which drives her ambitious pursuits for power.
12. “You will betray the men serving you, you will betray your family, you will betray everything you once held dear. And it will all be worth it” – Lady Melisandre
Stannis fumes after his defeat at Blackwater Bay, asking Melisandre how she was so certain about his victory when his defeat was so crushing. Their conversation is dark and deep, and involves in it Melisandre warning Stannis about the vile things he’ll do. But she says it will be worth it, in order to secure his rightful position on the Iron Throne.
13. “I am not your little princess. I am Daenerys Stormborn of the blood of old Valyria and I will take what is mine, with fire and blood I will take it” – Daenerys Targaryen
Sick of being belittled with the titled “little princess” by The Spice King, Daenerys allows herself an angry outburst where, using the Targaryen words of “Fire and Blood”, she declares that she will have what is hers, taken by war and death, with or without the merchant’s assistance.
14. “Power is a curious thing, my lord…Power resides where men believe it resides. It’s a trick, a shadow on the wall. And, a very small man can cast a very large shadow” – Lord Varys
Varys’ riddle he poses to Tyrion right before this quote is supposed to extract from a person whether they value riches, favor with the gods, or a crown the most. Tyrion chooses not to answer, so Varys sums up with this quote – a very interesting way to view power. He uses the example of how, if a swordsman with the power of like and death in their hands truly holds power, why do we act like king’s are the ultimate rulers. One of Varys’ most iconic quotes from Game of Thrones Season 2.
15. “Shadows cannot live in the dark, Ser Davos. They are servants of light. The children of fire. And the brighter the flame, the darker they are” – Lady Melisandre
Lady Melisandre schools Davos on shadows in the eyes of the Lord of Light’s religion. She says, truly enough, that they are the children of fire, born from their light. And the brighter the flame is, the darker the shadow it produces will be. She says this before giving birth to a Shadow-like creature to murder Renly with.
16. “Power is power” – Cersei Lannister
After Baelish smugly tells Cersei that knowledge is power, the queen demonstrates a wicked display of her power. She tells her guards to move forward, seize Baelish, and cut his throat. At the last moment she tells them she’s changed her mind. They obey each of her commands totally, and have Baelish’s life in their hands for a moment when they have a knife to his throat. After this, she simply says to Baelish that power is power. One of our favorite quotes from Season 2.
17. “They shall come day and night to see the wonder born into the world again. And when they see they shall lust, for dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power” – Quaithe
First, I’ll answer the question you just asked yourself of “Who the hell is Quaithe”. She is a strange character, one more explored in the books, who wears a peculiar black mask that covers most of her face. We see her in Qarth, very briefly, and then she isn’t heard from in the rest of the series. She interacts with Ser Jorah in Qarth telling him to protect and watch Dany as best he can, for her Dragons will attract all of the wrong sorts of attention. Her quote is as epic as she is mysterious, and leaves Jorah stunned and puzzled.
18. “There’s no cure for being a cunt” – Bronn
Plain and simple from Bronn, as usual. Tyrion is seeking for a way, a cure, to take Joffrey’s mind off of torment and brutality. Bronn has a simple response for this, and one that’s quite difficult to put up an argument about, providing an easy candidate for best quote of GoT Season 2.
19. “And Theon, I want him brought to me alive. I want to look him in the eye and ask him why, and then I’ll take his head myself” – Robb Stark
Truly his father’s son, Robb wishes to speak to Theon directly to find out why he captured Winterfell when he hears the news, before killing him himself, as Ned was prone to do with men he sentenced to die.
20. “Treat your oaths recklessly and your people will do the same” – Catelyn Stark
Robb is confessing to his mother that he loves the Lady Talisa and plans to marry her, regardless of the fact that he’d sworn an oath to Walder Frey when he and his troops needed to cross The Twins to marry one of his daughters. Cat warns him that treating his oaths recklessly will lead to his troops doing the same with the pledges of fealty they offered him.
21. “Who wants to die defending a Lannister?” – Brienne of Tarth
Jaime pisses off just about the whole of the North of Westeros when he kills Lord Karstark’s son in his bid to escape imprisonment. Brienne ponders with whether he’ll survive the night from the threat of retribution, using the logic that no one will defend him when the Karstark’s come baying for blood as no one wants to die defending a Lannister.
22. “The lord of light wants his enemies burned. The drowned god wants them drowned. Why are all the gods such vicious cunts? Where is the god of tits and wine?” – Tyrion Lannister
Tits and wine – why did we even bother labelling this as Tyrion’s quote? Tyrion’s views on the numerous gods and their preferred methods of people dying is both hilarious and true, making us all secretly want to convert to this religion that worships the god of tits and wine.
23. “You might be disappointed in the results. Storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling” – Lord Varys
Despite usually appearing like friends, Varys and Tyrion have a slightly dark moment in Season 2 Episode 2. Tyrion tells Varys, openly, that he’ll have him thrown in the sea if he threatens Tyrion again. Varys doesn’t let this go unanswered, replying that he keeps on paddling among all of the conflicts and murders of Westeros and that this may not work out for The Hand.
24. “You want to lead one day? Well learn how to follow” – Jeor Mormont
After Jon Snow gets angry with Jeor, the Old Bear puts Jon in his place, saying that in order to lead in the future he will first need to learn how to follow and not be too headstrong.
25. “You think the piece of paper father gave you keeps you safe? Ned Stark had a piece of paper, too” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei is outraged, as one might have guessed, when she discovers that Tyrion plans to wed Myrcella off to Dorne. She tells him that the piece of paper he has officiating him as Hand of the King doesn’t protect him from her. Ned Stark came at her with a piece of paper, too, after all.
26. “Do you understand? I’m no ordinary woman. My dreams come true” – Daenerys Targaryen
Whilst trying to convince The Spice King of Qarth to lend Dany some ships, she recalls the vision she had of taking her dragon eggs into a great fire, which, of course, left her unscathed and was the crucible in which her dragons hatched. She then tells him, boldly, that her dreams come true. Sadly, though, this was not enough to convince the data-driven Spice King.
27. “For the night is dark and full of terrors” – Lady Melisandre
The first time the Red Priest says her iconic line, which she may be in the running with the Starks for the prize of using a single phrase the most, is in the introduction to Stannis and his crew. She says this after burning seven status to represent the seven gods which most Westerosi people worship.
28. “The more people you love, the weaker you are. You’ll do things for them that you know you shouldn’t do. You’ll act the fool to make them happy, to keep them safe. Love no one but your children; on that front a mother has no choice” – Cersei Lannister
After Cersei finds out Sansa has flowered and is able to bear Joffrey’s children, she gives Sansa a deep lecture about love, telling her to avoid loving anyone but her children, as a mother has to, as attachment will only limit and endanger you.
29. “You can’t trust anyone in King’s Landing, they’re all liars. Good liars, bad liars, one or two great liars” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion tells Shae that she/one can’t trust anybody in King’s Landing, letting her know that they’re all liars. It’s interesting that he says there’s one or two great liars; it’s possible that he’s referring to Baelish and Varys, but that’s just speculation.
30. “Look around you. We’re all liars here – and every one of us is better than you” – Lord Baelish
Littlefinger says he will take Sansa home after Joffrey, in front of the court, discards of Sansa in order to marry Margaery Tyrell and ally their houses. Sansa tries to hide her happiness, and lies to Baelish when he offers this to her, saying her home is King’s Landing now. He sees right through this, and tells her everyone in King’s Landing is a better liar than her. Baelish is quieter for quotes in Season 2 than he is in Season 1, but this is definitely one of the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 2.
31. “You have a gentle heart. You would not only be respected and feared, you would be loved. Someone who can rule, and should rule – centuries come and go without a person like that coming into the world. There are times when I look at you and I still can’t believe you’re real” – Jorah Mormont
Jorah’s impassioned speech about Dany as a ruler. Despite the beauty of the first few sentences, it is perhaps the last one that evokes the most emotions, with him claiming her suitability for the throne, and her other qualities, make it hard to believe she’s even real.
32. “They say I’m half a man, well what does that make the lot of you?” – Tyrion Lannister
The most epic quote from Tyrion’s rousing speech that likely inspired the men to hold the city long enough to save it for when Tywin’s troops came is this. After Joffrey was summoned by his mother and abandoned his troops, it’s Tyrion who rallies the men by comparing their cowardness to his status as a half-man. A clever play on words that may have saved the city.
33. “All my life men like you have sneered at me, and all my life I’ve been knocking men like you into the dust” – Brienne of Tarth
Jaime confidently tells Brienne during his extensive monologue in the face of her stoic muteness that he could beat her in a fair fight. Brienne reveals that she has always been treated with scorn by cocky men, and time and time again she’s overcome them in battle.
34. “Oh Lancel, tell my friend Bronn to please kill you if anything should happen to me” – Tyrion Lannister
Having discovered that Lancel is sleeping with Cersei, Tyrion uses his newfound leverage to extract Cersei’s secrets from his cousin. He learns about Cersei’s plans to use wildfire to defend the city against Stannis’ impending attack and, after dismissing Lancel, tells Lancel to tell Bronn to kill him if anything happens to Tyrion. Lancel actually does ask Bronn to kill him if Lord Tyrion is hurt, making for a very funny scene.
35. “Do you know why Varys is so dangerous…because he doesn’t have a cock” – Cersei Lannister
Tyrion’s reasonable answers to Cersei’s question are shot down by her point; Varys’ danger comes from his lack of a penis. She uses this logic to imply that she, too, is one to be considered incredibly dangerous, which we sure know to be true.
36. “Fuck the kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the king” – The Hound
After being too overwhelmed by the sheer amount of fire and flames littering the battlefield, Sandor retreats back inside the walls of the city, leading Tyrion to question the big man. The Hound then uses one of his most iconic quotes in the series, ending his line with the notorious “Fuck the king”.
37. “One day I pray you love someone. I pray you love her so much, when you close your eyes you see her face. I want that for you. I want you to know what it’s like to love someone, to truly love someone, before I take her from you” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei’s reaction to Tyrion shipping her only daughter away to Dorne is probably what you’d expect from an ambitious, bloodthirsty queen: she prays that Tyrion finds himself in the situation she was in with Myrcella so she can take his love away from him. This is said while he’s hiding Shae from Cersei, so the words linger with us as we realise what Cersei will do to Shae if her presence is found.
38. “We’ve had vicious kings, and we’ve had idiot kings, but I don’t know if we’ve ever been cursed with a vicious idiot for a king!” – Tyrion Lannister
A close encounter with the common people of King’s Landing leaves the nobles shook up, though not Tyrion who pounces on Joffrey in an instant as he was the catalyst for their rage, shouting “Kill them” after the commoners threw a “cow pie” at him. Tyrion’s unchecked insults make this quote so awesome as he shows no fear to insult a “vicious idiot” king.
Be sure to check out the quotes from each episode in Season 2 for a more detailed look and more quotes.
Also, if you enjoyed our best quotes from Season 2, head over to the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1.
Image credit: HBO