Game of Thrones Season 2 Episode 9 features the Battle of the Blackwater, carrying with it some particularly dark quotes as death and war loom above all of the characters. Here are the best, most memorable, most iconic quotes from Game of Thrones Season 2 Episode 9.
1. “I’m entirely sure you’re entirely sure what I’m suggesting” – Tyrion Lannister
Lord Varys says to Tyrion that he’s not entirely sure what he’s suggesting after Tyrion says he’s sure that Varys knows the name of every boy in town. It’s suggested frequently by characters that Varys’ romantic interests center around boys, though that is not what he reveals in later episodes.
2. “That would make me the quarter-man. Just doesn’t have the same ring to it” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s self-deprecating humor and complete disregard to Joffrey’s threat on his life are what produced this quote. Joffrey tells Tyrion that he could tell the Hound to cut him in half and he would do, which Tyrion, frequently called the half-man, says would ruin his nickname.
3. “They say I’m half a man, well what does that make the lot of you?” – Tyrion Lannister
The most epic quote from Tyrion’s rousing speech that likely inspired the men to hold the city long enough to save it for when Tywin’s troops came is this. After Joffrey was summoned by his mother and abandoned his troops, it’s Tyrion who rallies the men by comparing their cowardness to his status as a half-man. A clever play on words that may have saved the city.
4. “The gods have no mercy, that’s why they’re gods” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei becomes increasingly sour while waiting inside for the battle to end with the other women of the court, resulting in her mocking Sansa for praying to the gods for mercy, claiming that, being gods, they have no mercy.
5. “I should have been born a man. I’d rather face a thousand swords than be shut up inside with this flock of frightened hens” – Cersei Lannister
The clear malcontent in the group of women being sheltered from the battle, Cersei says that she’d rather face a thousand enemies than sit inside and wait to die with her frightened, pampered company. It shows her lust for action as opposed to inaction which drives her ambitious pursuits for power.
6. “Tears aren’t a woman’s only weapon. The best one’s between your legs” – Cersei Lannister
Cersei reveals to Sansa what her first tactic in defense of the city would have been had the invader not been Stannis. She says she’d have secured a private audience and seduced him, though this is clearly not possible with Stannis, whom Loras Tyrell has previously compared to a lobster in Season 1 Episode 5. And good luck trying to seduce a lobster.
7. “Your brother’s turn will come. Then you can lick his blood off Hearteater, too” – Joffrey Baratheon
Joffrey’s infliction of torment toward Sansa continues, this time promising her that once he kills her brother in battle she can lick his blood off his sword, Hearteater.
8. “Any of these flaming fucking arrows come near me, I’ll strangle you with your own guts” – The Hound
Before The Hound leads the defending troops of King’s Landing out of the gates, he tells the commanding archer who is firing flaming arrows at the troops of Stannis what will happen if anything of them come near him. His warning is exacerbated by his fear of fire, explained in Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 4.
9. “Any man dies with a clean sword, I’ll rape his fucking corpse” – The Hound
Inspiring words from the leader of the city’s ground defense as they leave the gate to meet Stannis’ onslaught. Fear of post-mortem rape is one way to motivate your troops, I suppose.
10. “Fuck the kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the king” – The Hound
After being too overwhelmed by the sheer amount of fire and flames littering the battlefield, Sandor retreats back inside the walls of the city, leading Tyrion to question the big man. The Hound then uses one of his most iconic quotes in the series, ending his line with the notorious “Fuck the king”.
11. “The world is built by killers, so you better get used to looking at them” – The Hound
Sansa finds The Hound brooding in her bedroom (a most unwelcome surprise for anyone, I’m sure) and during their conversation avoids the eyes of the feared killer. He tells her that she’d better get used to looking at killers; the world is built by them.
12. “Thousands” – Stannis Baratheon
This is one of the most chilling quotes in the whole of Game of Thrones. Despite Tyrion’s wildfire disrupting Stannis’ assault to a spectacular level, he pushes on with the assault, commanding his troops to land, despite the wildfire still burning and the Lannister archers. He’s told that hundreds will die doing this. He shrugs off the moral warning, answering back with a single word to correct the man. “Thousands”.
13. “Don’t feel sorry for him. He’ll be halfway up your arse before the night’s through” – Bronn
Bronn is joined in company by a whore before the Battle of the Blackwater, who asks him about his nose and how many times it’s been broken. After telling her, she pitifully says, “poor nose”. Bronn assures her not to be too worried about it, though, telling her it’ll be halfway up her arse before long. He receives a room full of laughs from the Lannister soldiers for this.
Check out the episodes leading up to this one with the best quotes from Episode 8 and Episode 7. Or, enjoy our full list of best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1.
Image credit: HBO