Season 2 Episode 8 culminates the epic rivalry, for now, between Cersei and Tyrion that had been building through Game of Thrones Season 2, and delivers much more quotable greatness. As a result, there’s a bunch of lines in the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 2 Episode 8!
1. “I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy, and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you’ll know the debt is paid” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s threatening and bone-chilling speech to Cersei after she shows him the whore she has discovered and beaten is most memorable. The suspense grips us as the girl comes out as Cersei believes this whore is Tyrion’s lover, though it relieves us when turns out to be Ros rather than Shae. Nevertheless, Tyrion threatens Cersei with a vow to rip her joy from her and turn it to ash when she thinks she’s happy.
2. “I would kill for you, do you know that? I expect I’ll have to before this is over” – Tyrion Lannister
Feeling shaken after Cersei came inches from finding his secret lover Shae, Tyrion over-compensates with affection and concern when he is returned to her. Using a voice loaded with emotion, he tells Shae he’d kill for her, noting that it’s almost an inevitability considering he’s playing a game of cat and mouse in the notoriously treacherous capital.
3. “The lord of light wants his enemies burned. The drowned god wants them drowned. Why are all the gods such vicious cunts? Where is the god of tits and wine?” – Tyrion Lannister
Tits and wine – why did we even bother labelling this as Tyrion’s quote? Tyrion’s views on the numerous gods and their preferred methods of people dying is both hilarious and true, making us all secretly want to convert to this religion that worships the god of tits and wine.
4. “Do you know why Varys is so dangerous…because he doesn’t have a cock” – Cersei Lannister
Tyrion’s reasonable answers to Cersei’s question are shot down by her point; Varys’ danger comes from his lack of a penis. She uses this logic to imply that she, too, is one to be considered incredibly dangerous, which we sure know to be true.
5. “And if he dies, there isn’t a man alive who could devise a more painful death for your little cunt” – Cersei Lannister
Before revealing to Tyrion the whore she has imprisoned, she tells him that she’ll be treated gently enough so long as no harm comes to Joffrey in Stannis’ sacking of the city. If he dies, however, well – you can see Cersei’s cruel intentions with the woman she expects is Tyrion’s secret lover.
6. “Have you known many men? I suppose not. Women?… Horses? – Jaime Lannister
Jaime’s torment of his captor who is bound by duty not to harm him provides no limit to the extremes he can go. He asks Brienne if she’s been with many men, answering his own question before wondering what she may have been with, ending with a particularly insulting suggestion of horses.
7. “I’m yours, and you’re mine” – Shae
Shae’s words to Tyrion. What to say about this other than it’s an iconic quote from the love story between Shae and Tyrion.
8. “And what of my magic? You saw me step into the fire, you watched the witch burn, what did the flames do to me, do you remember?” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany’s response to Jorah when he warns her of going into the House of the Undying as the Warlock’s magic is strong. She reminds him of the birth of her dragons and her survival against certain death in an attempt to displace his fears. After all, what magic can top that?
9. “I asked him, “How can a man be brave if he’s afraid?” “That is the only time a man can be brave”, he told me” – Robb Stark
Robb fondly recalls how his father used to worry about all of the people he ruled over, and how he told his son that the only time for bravery is in the face of adversity.
10. “All my life men like you have sneered at me, and all my life I’ve been knocking men like you into the dust” – Brienne of Tarth
Jaime confidently tells Brienne during his extensive monologue in the face of her stoic muteness that he could beat her in a fair fight. Brienne reveals that she has always been treated with scorn by cocky men, and time and time again she’s overcome them in battle.
11. “They say Stannis never smiles. I’ll give him a red smile, from ear to ear” – Joffrey Baratheon
Despite Joffrey’s fear he displays in battle as Stannis’ forces invade, his bravado is extravagant in the build up to it. He says he’ll be giving his uncle a permanent smile when they duel.
Be sure to check out the Game of Thrones quotes from the episodes prior to this – Episode 7 and Episode 6. If you’re looking for a full list of quotes, be sure to revel in the glory of Season 1 with the best quotes from GoT Season 1!
Image credits: HBO