The first episode of Game of Thrones Season 2 paints the picture of the season to come: various lords of Westeros see their claim to the debatably-vacant throne as the only true one. The result is all out war. They say that technological advancements are made most heavily in war, but the truly clued-in people know that it’s quotes that are made.
Here are the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 2 Episode 1.
While you’re here, check out our compilation of the 39 best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1.
1. “You love your children. It’s your one redeeming quality, that and your cheekbones” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion admits Cersei’s redeeming qualities, quoting her love for her children and then her cheekbones as an afterthought.
2. “You can’t trust anyone in King’s Landing, they’re all liars. Good liars, bad liars, one or two great liars” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion tells Shae that she/one can’t trust anybody in King’s Landing, letting her know that they’re all liars. It’s interesting that he says there’s one or two great liars; it’s possible that he’s referring to Baelish and Varys, but that’s just speculation.
3. “Power is power” – Cersei Lannister
After Baelish smugly tells Cersei that knowledge is power, the queen demonstrates a wicked display of her power. She tells her guards to move forward, seize Baelish, and cut his throat. At the last moment she tells them she’s changed her mind. They obey each of her commands totally, and have Baelish’s life in their hands for a moment when they have a knife to his throat. After this, she simply says to Baelish that power is power.
4. “You insult yourself, Kingslayer. You’ve been defeated by a boy, you’re held captive by a boy, perhaps you’ll be killed by a boy” – Robb Stark
After Jaime Lannister asks Robb if it insults him to be called boy, Robb diplomatically handles the condescending remark by telling Jaime he insults himself, saying he’s held captive by a boy and might just be killed by one.
5. “What you just did is punishable by death. You will never do it again. Never” – Joffrey Baratheon
Surprisingly, this quote and death threat is directed toward his mother. The helplessness of Cersei to control the wild king is apparent with him even directing veiled death threats at her.
6. “Joffrey, Renly, Robb Stark – they’re all thieves. They’ll bend the knee or I’ll destroy them” – Stannis Baratheon
Davos’ suggestion for Stannis to make allies with either Renly or Robb Stark is shot down with the stiff authoritarianism that we were told to expect from Stannis in Season 1. He reveals he has no plans to side with anyone; the throne is rightfully his and he will claim it for him, and only him.
7. “For the night is dark and full of terrors” – Lady Melisandre
The first time the Red Priest says her iconic line, which she may be in the running with the Starks for the prize of using a single phrase the most, is in the introduction to Stannis and his crew. She says this after burning seven status to represent the seven gods which most Westerosi people worship.
8. “You want to lead one day? Well learn how to follow” – Jeor Mormont
After Jon Snow gets angry with Jeor, the Old Bear puts Jon in his place, saying that in order to lead in the future he will first need to learn how to follow and not be too headstrong.
Check out the episode before this, Season 1 Episode 10’s quotes, or view an entire list of our favorite quotes from Season 1.
Image credit: HBO