Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 9 quotes aren’t as abundant as some of the other episodes in the season, namely episode 1 and episode 2, but due to the explosive nature of the episode and its story lines we still have more than a fair share.
You can also view the best quotes from the whole of Game of Thrones Season 1 with our compilation.
1. “But I grew up with soldiers. I learned how to die a long time ago” – Ned Stark
Varys attempts to make Ned admit his “treason” in order to save his life, not wanting an inevitable war to break out if the Lannisters take his head. He recalls how he grew up with actors as part of his persuasion. Ned replies that he grew up with soldiers; he’s been around people dying all his life and has been ready for it for a while.
2. “You once loved a woman many years ago, but it turned out badly so you’ve never let yourself love again. Oh wait, that’s me” – Tyrion Lannister
In a drinking game Shae, Tyrion, and Bronn play, Tyrion attempts to guess things from each of their childhoods. He goes incredibly in depth about how Bronn maybe used to love a woman who hurt him, before backtracking, realising he’s talking about his own experiences, and drinks as a result.
The iconic name Dany had for Drogo, managing to love someone she was initially sold to.
4. “If we do it your way, Kingslayer, you’d win. We’re not doing it your way” – Robb Stark
After being captured by Robb’s men, Jaime Lannister offers Robb the chance to end the war now, each man representing their respective house in a duel to the death. Jaime, being one of the best swordsmen in the realm, would obviously win this, so Robb smartly declines.
5. “I am the master of whisperers. My role is to be sly, obsequious, and without scruples” – Lord Varys
Although you may need a dictionary for this quote, it does reveal Varys’ role in court; he is to be a servant willing to do anything and everything for the crown without people knowing what he’s up to.
6. “From, uh, Ser.. What’s his name? I don’t know, ginger cunt, three tents down” – Bronn
When Tyrion asks Bronn where he found a whore this pretty on the eve of battle, the nonchalant reply from the sell-sword is just the best. He got it from a ginger knight three tents down, that’s all we get to know.
7. “Love is the death of duty” – Maester Aemon
When Jon is seriously debating deserting the Night’s Watch to help his family in the war to come, Maester Aemon drops some knowledge on him. To make Jon see why he has to stay, Maester Aemon reveals that he’s actually Aemon Targaryen, and that when the Throne passed to him he refused it. He ends his speech saying that love is the death of duty.
Check out other quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1, such as episode 7 or episode 8.
Image credit: HBO