A lot happens in GoT Season 1 Episode 7, so relive the episode with the best, most hard-hitting quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 7. This is a particularly heavy episode for Littlefinger quotes, who takes the theme of betrayal and political intrigue right to the finish line.
1. “King Robert Baratheon, murdered by a pig” – Robert Baratheon
On Robert’s deathbed after being wounded by a boar, he senses his death coming, yet manages to laugh at the circumstances. Death by pig isn’t a very conventional way for a King to die, after all.
2. “A stupid saying. What we don’t know is usually what gets us killed” – Lord Baelish
Littlefinger demonstrates his awareness and intelligence when Ros says that what the women Baelish is saving himself for doesn’t know won’t hurt her. He expresses his view on a common phrase, saying that it’s the unknown that usually leads to someone’s death.
3. “I learnt that I’ll never win. Not that way. That’s their game, their rules. I’m not going to fight them, I’m going to fuck them. That’s what I know, that’s what I am. And only by admitting what we are can we get what we want” – Lord Baelish
Baelish reveals how feeling like an outsider in a world full of great fighters led him to his seat of power he holds today. He decided to change the rules, to fuck people rather than fight them. This is a clever saying as it ties into the theme of him owning brothels while also having hidden connotations of him going beyond fighting and plotting awful things, foreshadowing at schemes to come.
4. “Oh, everything, my dear. Everything there is“ – Lord Baelish
The Baelish quotes continue to rain in from a particularly quote-worthy episode for Littlefinger. This time it’s his response to Ros’ question of what he wants. The answer reveals his absolute and endless ambition.
5. “We only make peace with our enemies, my lord. That’s why it’s called making peace” – Lord Baelish
Baelish struggles to convince Ned, stubborn as ever, to make peace with the Lannisters, who is claiming he can’t make peace with the people who tried to murder his son. Baelish correctly points out that you don’t make peace with anyone but your enemies.
When Baelish treasonous plan is revealed to Ned Stark of how to win him the throne, Lord Stark dismisses it as treason. The daring response from Baelish shows why he loves to play the game, replying that it’s only treason if they lose.
7. “I did warn you not to trust me” – Lord Baelish
Littlefinger has consistently been telling Ned not to trust anyone in King’s Landing, and several times saying not to trust Baelish himself. It’s in the throne room of the Red Keep that we see how open Baelish actually was being, who backstabs Ned and then rubs it in saying he had warned Ned not to trust him.
8. “When you play the Game of Thrones you win, or you die. There is no middle ground” – Cersei Lannister
Perhaps the single most iconic Game of Thrones quotes there is. Cersei describes the brutal game that the high lords of Westeros play. In the pursuit of power, you either win or you die.
9. “I always wanted to be a wizard” – Samwell Tarly
Ah, we can always count on Sam to lighten the mood. After Jon feels robbed when he’s made a Steward in the Night’s Watch rather than a Ranger like his Uncle, he says wistfully that he always wanted to be a Ranger. Sam breaks the sadness brilliantly, with the bizarre desire of his to be a wizard.
10. “A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep” – Tywin Lannister
Tywin doesn’t seem like a great father, though this piece of advice goes against this mold. When Jaime says that people calling him Kingslayer bothers him, Tywin’s response is brilliantly brutal, saying a Lion (like them) doesn’t concern himself with a sheep’s opinion, referring to the common folk. This attitude is typical of Lannisters, with all three of Tywin’s children seemingly thinking themselves more important than most.
Check out more great GoT quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 6. We’ve also made a full list of the best Game of Thrones Quotes in Season 1.
Image credit: HBO