The season finale of Game of Thrones Season 1 delivered on all fronts, and as a result has plenty of quotable lines to look back on. Here is our compilation of the best quotes from Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 10.
1. “They have your sisters; we have to get the girls back. And then we will kill them all” – Catelyn Stark
Sharing in Robb’s grief following Ned’s death, Catelyn is the one thinking straight, telling Robb they need to rescue the girls. After that, she vows to kill all the Lannisters.
2. “It’s hard for them to simper and bow without heads” – Lord Baelish
Littlefinger’s intense ambition is felt when Varys asks him if, when he imagines himself on the iron thrones, the people who used to laugh at him simper and bow. It turns out he doesn’t even want the people who mocked him in the past to bow, rather he wants their heads.
3. “You must be one of the few men in the city who isn’t a man” – Lord Baelish
Baelish and Varys snipe at each other with insults, so after Varys says he is “one of the men in the city who doesn’t want to be king”, Baelish jumps at the chance to say he’s one of the few men who isn’t really a man, since he’s a eunuch.
4. “Everyone, everywhere always has to do exactly what my father says. He’s always been a cunt” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion expresses his sour feeling toward his father to Shae.
5. “When the sun rises in the west, and sets in the east, then you shall return to me, my sun and stars” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany’s heartbreaking last words to Drogo, whom she manages to save from death in a previous episode only for him to hover on the precipice between living and dying, leaving him responseless and emotionless. She kills him out of mercy, but it still makes her cry.
6. “I am Daenerys Stormborn, of House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria – I am the Dragon’s Daughter. And I swear to you, that those who would harm you will die screaming” – Daenerys Targaryen
Before burning the witch that sacrificed her unborn son in order to keep Drogo alive, but not living, Dany says this line to the followers who stayed with her after the Khalasar abandoned her. It is certainly the most epic Daenerys quote in Season 1, and hints at things to come.
7. “I already killed one fat boy. I bet you never killed anyone, I bet you’re a liar. But I’m not. I’m good at killing fat boys, I like killing fat boys” – Arya Stark
Arya threatens Hot Pie after he puts on a ruse of being tough to try and steal Arya’s sword. She begins her journey into being one of our favorite characters by threatening him back, saying she already killed one fat boy and threatening to do so again.
8. “Or maybe he’ll give me yours” – Sansa Stark
After Joffrey says he will give Sansa the head of her brother when his armies kill him, Sansa drops her guard for a moment and lets her real feelings show, sharply shooting back at him with the idea that maybe Robb will give her Joffrey’s head, instead.
9. “What gods are those? The trees your husband prayed to? Where were the trees when his head was getting chopped off? If your gods are real, and if they’re just, why is the world so full of injustice?” – Jaime Lannister
After Cat mentions the gods in front of Jaime, he puts her faith down plainly in front of her, asking her where her beloved gods were when her husband was being killed. He raises a good point.
10. “There are no men like me. Only me” – Jaime Lannister
When Cat, in rebuttal to the last quote, says that it’s men like Jaime who make the world so unjust, the Kingslayer’s brazen confidence steps forward to answer, telling her there are no men like him.
11. “Have you? Do you spend a lot of time wondering what’s between my legs?” – Lord Varys
The fantastic back-and-forth between two of Westeros’ brightest minds, Baelish and Varys, continues to provide timeless quotes, this one being in response to Baelish saying he’s always wondered how they cut Varys.
12. “Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?” – Lord Varys
Baelish tells Varys that he’s despised by most and feared at all, so Varys asks Baelish if he himself lies awake at night, fearing Varys.
13. “I’ll tell you what, I’m gonna give you a present. After I raise my armies and kill your traitor brother, I’m going to give you his head as well” – Joffrey Baratheon
With Valentine’s Day just passed, the notion of giving a lady her brother’s head doesn’t seem like quite the way to win her heart. To each their own I suppose, Joffrey.
14. “Of all the thousand, thousand maladies the gods visit on us, madness is the worst” – Grand Maester Pycelle
Pycelle shocks us all by saying something worth remembering for once while recounting the Mad King to Ros in his chamber. It’s very much a monologue; Ros doesn’t care for the old man’s stories, but it does produce this good line.
15. “The King in the North!” – Greatjon Umber
The Greatjon is the first of the Northernmen to proclaim Robb as King of the North, and it begins the saga of the North trying to secure independence after they get Arya and Sansa back.
You can check out a complete list of the best quotes from the 1st season of Game of Thrones. Journey back to the beginning with Episode 1, or see what came before this episode and check out Season 1 Episode 9.
Image credits: HBO