Daenerys Targaryen is one of the most adored characters in Game of Thrones for her firm but fair rule. Her dragons help, too. In her status as a benevolent ruler, there’s plenty of awesome quotes from Daenerys relating to power, justice and those that generally add a human element to the brutal world of Game of Thrones.
We’ve collected the greatest 18 Daenerys Targaryen quotes and included our description of them. They’re listed in order of when they were said (from Season 1 to Season 7), so it’s a great way to see how her character develops through the series.
1. “Not a queen. A Khaleesi” – Daenerys Targaryen
After being told by Jorah that she’s finally learning to talk like a queen, Dany reveals how she’s beginning to assimilate into the Dothraki world, correcting him that she’s actually learning to talk like a Khaleesi. This quote is the first sign that Dany is warming to her new position as a Khaleesi.
2. “I am a Khaleesi of the Dothraki. I am the wife of the great Khal and I carry his son inside me. The next time you raise a hand to me, will be the last time you have hands” – Daenerys Targaryen
This quote is the first time Dany stands up for herself against her brother Viserys, and is one of the most powerful quotes she has in Season 1. After Viserys strikes her, she takes the upper hand by claiming the next time he did that she’d have his hands removed. Truly a turning point in the sibling’s relationship dynamic, which had previously treated Daenerys awfully. Even though this came early on, it’s one of the most powerful Daenerys quotes.
3. “My sun and stars” – Daenerys Targaryen
The iconic name Dany had for Drogo, that was present throughout their relationship.
4. “When the sun rises in the west, and sets in the east, then you shall return to me, my sun and stars” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany’s heartbreaking last words to Drogo, whom she manages to save from death in a previous episode only for him to hover on the precipice between living and dying, leaving him responseless and emotionless. She kills him out of mercy, but it still makes her cry. This is the defining quote from their unique relationship.
5. “I am Daenerys Stormborn, of House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria – I am the Dragon’s Daughter. And I swear to you, that those who would harm you will die screaming” – Daenerys Targaryen
Before burning the witch that sacrificed her unborn son in order to keep Drogo alive, but not living, Dany says this line to the followers who stayed with her after the Khalasar abandoned her. It is certainly the most epic Daenerys quote in Season 1, and hints at things to come.
6. “Do you understand? I’m no ordinary woman. My dreams come true” – Daenerys Targaryen
Whilst trying to convince The Spice King of Qarth to lend Dany some ships, she recalls the vision she had of taking her dragon eggs into a great fire, which, of course, left her unscathed and was the crucible in which her dragons hatched. She then tells him, boldly, that her dreams come true. Sadly, though, this was not enough to convince the data-driven Spice King.
7. “I am not your little princess. I am Daenerys Stormborn of the blood of old Valyria and I will take what is mine, with fire and blood I will take it” – Daenerys Targaryen
Sick of being belittled with the titled “little princess” by The Spice King, Daenerys allows herself an angry outburst where, using the Targaryen words of “Fire and Blood”, she declares that she will have what is hers, taken by war and death, with or without the merchant’s assistance.
8. “Yes, all men must die. But we are not men” – Daenerys Targaryen
This is one of the most iconic Daenerys quotes in Game of Thrones and an awesome GoT quote about power. Dany, upon acquiring the services of Missandei, asks if she’d be happy going into war, which causes the slave girl to say “Valar Morghulis”, which Dany acknowledges as true, but says doesn’t apply to them as they are not men. Valar Morghulis means “All men must die”, and is a quote heard frequently in Game of Thrones.
9. “We have 200,000 reasons to take the city” – Daenerys Targaryen
Standing outside the towering city of Yunkai, Jorah advises Dany not to take the city; it would bring her no closer to Westeros and would cost valuable men. Dany plainly asks how many slaves there are in the city, to which Jorah replies that there are at least 200,000. One for freeing slaves wherever possible, Dany earnestly tells him they have 200,000 reasons to take the city.
10. “I will not let those I have freed slide back into chains. I will not sail for Westeros… I will do what queens do. I will rule” – Daenerys Targaryen
When stuck between choosing whether to secure her slave-free hold on the free cities of Yunkai and Astapor or to sail to King’s Landing and strike while the kingdom is in disarray, Dany chooses to prioritize the lives of those she’s already freed. She chooses to rule over Meereen, as a queen would do.
11. “They can live in my new world, or they can die in their old one” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany agrees to meet Jorah’s point of view and not kill the masters of Yunkai, though sends one of the masters fro Meereen to accompany the second sons to Yunkai to tell the masters that they have a choice – to live in a slave-free world Dany is building, or die in their old world. This quote epitomizes the good-willed cruelty that Daenerys dishes out – help reform the world, or die.
12. “If I give everyone what they deserve I’ll have no one left to rule” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany fumes after the death of Ser Barristan, and says this quote showing how deeply her rage is set against the Masters.
13. “Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell – they’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top, then that one’s on top, and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel” – Daenerys Targaryen
Daenerys Targaryen’s famous “Wheel” speech comes about in Game of Thrones Season 5 Episode 8, “Hardhome”. She talks about how the ruling houses of Westeros rotate power between them through power struggles and all the while crush the common people under their weight. Her mission, she tells Tyrion, is to break the wheel.
14. “You are small men. None of you are fit to lead the Dothraki. But I am, so I will” – Daenerys Targaryen
Addressing the group of Khal’s that are grouped together to decide her fate, Dany says this powerful quote in Dothraki before burning down the hut they are in to kill them and take their army, all while she survives the flames.
15. “Our fathers were evil men. All of us here. They left the world worse than they found it. We’re not going to do that. We’re going to leave the world better than we found it” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dany addresses how her father, the Mad King, Tyrion’s father, Tywin, and Yara and Theon’s father, Balon Greyjoy, were all evil men. But they weren’t going to follow in their footsteps of leaving the world in a worse state than they found it. This is another quote that makes you fall in love with Daenerys as a ruler.
16. “I have been sold like a broodmare. I’ve been chained and betrayed, raped and defiled. Do you know what kept me standing through all those years in exile? Faith. Not in any gods, not in myths and legends, in myself. In Daenerys Targaryen” – Daenerys Targaryen
A very epic speech from Dany as she tells Jon her story that has led her to reclaiming Dragonstone whilst Jon is trying to convince her and Tyrion that the army of the dead is real. Definitely one of her best and most powerful quotes of the series.
17. “We both want to help people. We can only help them from a position of strength. Sometimes strength is terrible” – Daenerys Targaryen
The first showing of a dragon vs Westerosi troops continues to drive the good quotes, with this one coming as Daenerys is forced to justify her actions to Jon Snow. She compares their desires to help people, before saying that sometimes terrible things must happen before this comes to pass.
18. “You told me to do nothing before and I listened to you. I’m not doing nothing again” – Daenerys Targaryen
Tyrion advises Dany against flying north to help Jon as she’s too valuable to send into such a dangerous area. She tells him how once before doing nothing got them screwed over, and she is not going to make that mistake again.
And there they are! Daenerys’ quotes offer a nice respite from the usual sadistic lines heard in Game of Thrones while keeping all of their powerful undertones.
Two other characters familiar with powerful quotes are Lord Baelish and Lord Varys, and both of these characters have had their best quotes covered.
Tyrion’s best quotes also offer an interesting mix of humor and power, and are a great read.
Image credit: HBO